BCS Float Switch Cable Pin Assignment

Discussion of the physical aspects
jimg@gsp
Bot?: No

BCS Float Switch Cable Pin Assignment

Post by jimg@gsp »

Hello,

I am using 2 wires of a 3-wire 22 gauge cable for float switches. I have XLR connectors at the control box and M12 quick-dissconects at the float switch. My float switches are the 1.5" TC stainless side mount type.

Can someone inform me of the correct XLR/M12 pin assignment?

I have tried various combinations without success. Is there an easy method of testing the float switch open/closed position from within the BCS software?

Your help is much appreciated!
JonW
Site Admin

Re: BCS Float Switch Cable Pin Assignment

Post by JonW »

How are you currently wiring the M12 to the BCS? There is no standard way to use an M12. You just need to use 2 pins on it for the DIN to operate. You feed 5V to the float on one wire and have a second wire going to the DIN on the BCS. When the float closes, it will simply supply the 5V input to the DIN port. You can watch the DIN open/close on the main BCS screen without even needing to program it into a process. Make sure you enable the DIN in the BCS Settings page.
jimg@gsp

Post by jimg@gsp »

Thanks for the reply, Jon.

My control box was a custom build by Electric Brewing Supply. I did email them about this, but no reply.

From the inside of the box, it appears that the XLR's are wired using pins 1 & 2 (side pins if 3-pin triangle).

I will insure that the DINs are enabled and assigned correctly and report back.
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

Here is a simple diagram of how I would wire a float. You need to look at how they wired it or if doing yourself, then follow the diagram. DINS ARE not grounded. Just run the +5vdc to a DIN.
Float ToggleXLR.png
Float ToggleXLR.png (117.37 KiB) Viewed 8585 times
jimg@gsp

Post by jimg@gsp »

Thank you, oakbarn & Jon. This box is running 60a x2 and a BCS-462. Ryan at EBS has (4) float switch XLR wired at the box utilizing pins 2 and 3 (side pins of the 3-pin triangle). For each XLR, one of the two wires is run to an element switch on the panel and the other to a relay, and then on to a DIN rail contactor.

I am attempting to use different pin combinations on the XLR and M12 end of a float switch cable to fire a DIN that I can detect on the main page of the BCS software as Jon has suggested. All DIN's are enabled, but no luck.

The float switches are supposed to be wired to kill the element when activated.Will this wiring scenario not show the switch firing on the main page?

Thanks again!