24v relay to 24v D.C. solenoid wiring problem

Discussion of the physical aspects
Morgan
Bot?: No

24v relay to 24v D.C. solenoid wiring problem

Post by Morgan »

I am setting up a glycol system using BCS-462, a relay board, 24v power supply and 24v dc solenoids.

I cannot get the relay to trigger the solenoid. I can activate the solenoid directly from the power supply just fine. See attached wiring photo. All grounds are wired together and tied to earth ground from the input power cord.

A voltmeter across the vcc and gnd terminals on the relay board reads 24v as expected. A +5v wire to the input 4 triggers the led as expected, as shown in photo. A voltmeter across either the normally closed and control or normally open and control on the relay outputs both show no voltage.

On close inspection of the relay board, the relays appear to list ac voltage, not dc. Is that my problem, was I sent the wrong board? Or does my wiring look off?
Attachments
Relay close up
Relay close up
FullSizeRender.jpg (39.59 KiB) Viewed 9144 times
Wiring photo
Wiring photo
IMG_5327.JPG (116.87 KiB) Viewed 9144 times
RandR+

Re: 24v relay to 24v D.C. solenoid wiring problem

Post by RandR+ »

Where do the 2 red wires go that are attached to output side of the relay?
Morgan

Post by Morgan »

Those are going to the solenoid at the bottom of the photo.
Morgan

Post by Morgan »

Also this is the relay board I'm using which does seem like it's DC nd should work fine (on mine a white sticker is covering the part that says 24V DC as shown in the product photo.

http://1008303.kancart.com/item_detail/ ... l-#!detail
Last edited by Morgan on Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
RandR+

Post by RandR+ »

Only 1 wire of the solenoid should be hooked up to the relay. The power from the board is not passed through the relay itself, it is just used to open the relay. Think of the relay like a light switch, just electrically controlled.

My solenoids are hooked up with negative to ground and positive to normally open on the relay then I run the positive from power supply to the common on the relay. When the relay is triggered it closes connection between common and normally open completing the circuit.

I recommend you wire it like you would when directly wiring to the power supply but instead of connect the two positives together connect power supply to the relay common and the solenoid to normal Open. (if you were to connect to normally closed it would operate backwards - the solenoid would be open until the relay is triggered) Of course you still need 24v running to the relay board itself like you have it wired now.
Morgan

Post by Morgan »

That did the trick, thanks!