Blichmann Fermenator Control

Discussion of the physical aspects
wyowolf
Bot?: No

Blichmann Fermenator Control

Post by wyowolf »

I am using my old AC unit to build a cheap glycol chiller. I want to use the BCS 460 I have to control an aquarium pump to pump the glycol through the cooling coil in the conical. I am having trouble remembering exactly how i wired it when I built my eBIAB rig. I just need to run the 5v trigger to a SSR to turn on and off the pump.? and what about a temp prob? not sure exactly how i would do that, i either need to drill a hole for a thermowell in the lid, not out of question, or tape and cover it to side of conical... and which/where kind of probe to do i get?

any help would be appreciated... thank you.
oakbarn

Re: Blichmann Fermenator Control

Post by oakbarn »

One of the PWM Outs (1st 4) should control the Pump (Through an SSR).
One of the PWM Outs (1st 4) should control the Glycol Chiller (Through an SSR).
Probe 1: Conical
Probe 2" Glycol Bath

You need to use Hysteresis Mode on the Configurable Outputs in the Process Editor. Tie it to a Normal Temperature Probe from Brewer's Hardware. Does your Conical have a screw in Thermometer Thermowell? Brewer's hardware has probes with 1/2" mpt.
Glycol PWM.png
Glycol PWM.png (11.81 KiB) Viewed 32483 times
https://www.brewershardware.com/Tempera ... th-Cables/

They used to have ones with an M12 Disconnect but I do not think they make those anymore. Be sure to measure the length needed. You can use some conductive material on the probe but I do not and it seems to work fine.

Make sure you take the internal temp sensor in the AC (on the front fins normally) and wrap around the "hot" side of the copper tubing as that will "fool" the AC into thinking it is warmer. I have found that the OAT environment of the AC must be at least 60 degrees for the AC to work.

I keep my Polypropylene Glycol 50/50 mixture about 20 degrees lower than my desired Fermentation Temp but I have a Jacketed Ferrmentor from Brewer's Hardware.
wyowolf

Post by wyowolf »

ok thank you. yes i dont have a hole yet for the probe in the concial, but i have to drill two to put in the coil so drilling another is no big deal i guess... another stupid Q.. so i know the thermowell has to extend down into the wort, does the probe itself also have to be that long? ie 2 in temp probe in 12 in thermowell?

So i can set up just like i do the pump and element now through two more SSRs? correct?

yes i ran a test just to see how it would do, pulled about 4 gal of water down to 35 or so before i shut it off so i should go a bit lower if i need to no problem... will insulate the conical as well when its all set up...

thank you!
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

You want your temp probe to bottom out into the thermowell. You're not measuring air temp, you're measuring wort/beer temp so the thermowell needs contact with liquid and the temp probe needs to be in contact with the thermo well at that point.
wyowolf

Post by wyowolf »

Ok that makes sense, i never used one so wasnt sure...
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Yep, looks good to me.
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

I have many probes. If I was to do it over again, I would always buy 12" probes and use with Thermowellls. You can easily put a 12" probe in a 2", 3", 4", 5", 6" or 12" Thermowelll. The sensor is at the end of the Probe. I have found that they register very well after a few minutes without any need for thermal gel. Just make sure you "bottom" the probe in the Thermowelll.
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

Also, in General:
BCS 460: Reserve Out 0-3 with anything dealing with Temperature or Boil. Use other outs for Pumps etc.
BCS 462/482: Reserve Out 0-7 with anything dealing with Temperature or Boil. Use other outs for Pumps etc.

PWM outs can be used for On/Off but those non PWM outs can only be used for On/Off!
wyowolf

Post by wyowolf »

oakbarn wrote:
Fri Aug 24, 2018 5:09 pm
Also, in General:
BCS 460: Reserve Out 0-3 with anything dealing with Temperature or Boil. Use other outs for Pumps etc.
BCS 462/482: Reserve Out 0-7 with anything dealing with Temperature or Boil. Use other outs for Pumps etc.

PWM outs can be used for On/Off but those non PWM outs can only be used for On/Off!
Thank you, yeah I will have to revisit all that again to learn how i did it the first time. Will order a couple probes and thermowells. I can use the same type of relays I used when I built it correct? I have space in the panel for them.. the SSRs i mean...