Toggle Switch Wiring Question

Discussion of the physical aspects
ohio-ed
Bot?: No

Re: Toggle Switch Wiring Question

Post by ohio-ed »

I'm not sure why you need a wall wort for this application.
The BCS has a separate +5v output that is independent of the controlled outputs.

So you can wire your manual control directly from the BCS +5vdc.
gbrewer

Post by gbrewer »

Using the low voltage option would allow you manual override if the BCS460 "crapped" out. It wouldn't allow you override if the relay "crapped" out. The higher (120v) option allows you override if the relay takes a dump.

Pros and cons of both. Great topic.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

ohio-ed wrote:So you can wire your manual control directly from the BCS +5vdc.
Yes, normally you would. The response about using a wall wort was to run the low voltage side if the BCS crapped out.
BCS Portland

Post by BCS Portland »

Took advantage of a nice sunny day yesterday to rewire my panel (3rd time's the charm?) and set the switches up for 5v operation. Couldn't figure out why it wasn't working until I realized I forgot to connect the hot side of the SSR's to the pumps/rims heat -duh!

Anyway all works, I feel a bit safer now when I hit the switches, which brings me to this question. Any sources of an ON-OFF-ON toggle or rocker ILLUMINATED switch that would work off the 5 volts? I couldn't find anything simply under that description and have no idea if a 12v switch will light using 5v or if you can change out lamps?
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

If you can't find a suitable switch that supports a 5V led, maybe you could use DPDT switches. You could then use the second pole for 12V switching the status LED. If you do find some switches, please post back here with what you come up with.
harpo

Post by harpo »

I just discovered that www.automationdirect.com sells 6V incandescent replacement bulbs for their 24V illuminated switches.

Go to the replacement bulb page or search for ECX1900-5. Unfortunately they don't sell LED bulbs in a 6V option.

I just got two of the 22MM 3 position switches for my pumps. On-Off-Auto(BCS-462). I'll report the quality when I get them, but I have heard they are great for our application.
Buzzmeister

Post by Buzzmeister »

Thanks for this post. One question. Could you just have one three way rocker configured as follows:

Up - On, all loads controlled by the BCS through the individual SSRs.
Center - Off
Down - On, all loads controlled by SPST rockers for each load through the same SSRs used by the BCS.

Seems like the same concept except that it might be less expensive and may reduce some wiring. I'm also thinking that this concept might make it easier to build the system to run manually until $$$$ allow for the addition of the BCS. This would require a low voltage power supply but that would be added eventually anyway if you want a backup to the BCS.

Am I smoking the wrong kind of hops? :roll:
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Buzzmeister - that's doable if you use that one single switch to control a multi-channel relay board, but why add the complication? If you are going to do individual ON-OFF-AUTO switches also, I wouldn't bother with the master switch. Unless you want a single master power cutoff, then that's easily doable to cut the 120V power.
Mxstar21

Post by Mxstar21 »

If you can't find a suitable switch that supports a 5V led, maybe you could use DPDT switches. You could then use the second pole for 12V switching the status LED. If you do find some switches, please post back here with what you come up with.[/quote]

JonW,

Sorry to revive an old thread, but how about these switches: https://www.oscsys.com/store/product/280. (Competitor, I know) I am using a BCS 462 in my build though.

EDIT-I added a drawing. Please note this one switch drawn in all three operations. I only drew it in each operation with the terminals being used for clarity.
Attachments
DPDT.jpg
DPDT.jpg (28.53 KiB) Viewed 8496 times
oakbarn

Post by oakbarn »

BCS Portland wrote:That low voltage solution does look to be a safer way to go. I'm no electrician, so take this FWIW - if the BCS craps out for some reason, will you still be able to run anything? Wouldn't you potentially be stuck without pumps, etc.??

My BCS was not working so I took a 9v battery and controlled the SSRs. I have one additional lighted push button switch on the 120v side AFTER the SSR line pwr and BEFORE my pumps. It was basically my push button on/off before I had the BCS. I am going to get some toggle switches and wire the way Jon W has demonstrated so I would not have to resort to a battery. Also will give me back "True" manually old school control if I want it.