3 Way Solenoid Valves

Discussion of the physical aspects
bsfixit

Re: 3 Way Solenoid Valves

Post by bsfixit »

I supposed you would want a love controller 1 or more for temps control w/PIDS and the BCS for everything else?
shvanbommel

Post by shvanbommel »

the BCS would control all temperature related items because of its 6 pid functions. unfortunately i'm going to have to figure out how to setup the valves with preset positions on another controller... I heard mention of an expansion set for the BCS... is this too early to talk about or???
slimer

Post by slimer »

If you are using more than one valve for a particular state, why not wire them in parallel?

For example if you have two valves that need to be oriented for recirc, just wire them to the same relay.

That would decrease the number of outputs, but still accomplish what you're trying to do.
ECC
Bot?: No

Post by ECC »

There is an expansion port on the BCS, but plans to offer an I/O expansion card (or other expansion card) are still on the drawing board.
1 220 element, 2 110 elements, 2 pumps, 6 valves
To get 11 outputs out of the provided 6, we're definitely going to have to get creative. I totally agree with slimer, wire as much in parallel as you can. For the 2 110 elements, is there any need to control them separately? Or can they be wired to the same output? One BCS output can drive multiple relays, or you could wire it to one relay and have its output control muliple devices.

I'll just take a shot, lets refine from this.
Out0: 1 220 element - boil kettle?
Out1: 2 110 elements - both HLT? Or is one for MLT and one for HLT?
Out2: HLT pump, needs to be separate if you want to automate a fly sparge
Out3: Operate valves in Mash Mode, also hot for MLT pump recirc
Out4: Operate valves in Sparge Mode
Out5: ?

This probably isn't anywhere close to how you want it to work, but at least its a starting point. Controlling the valves together in preset configurations is the only way that you're going to get that many outputs out of a single BCS. We could also talk about encoding the outputs. Because above, Out3=0 and Out3=1 are two different valve configurations. I guess we need to know where the valves are used in the system, and you ever need to control any separately from the rest.
shvanbommel

Post by shvanbommel »

your on the right track, i was just entertaining the idea of manually wiring the valves with a diode so i could do one switch configurations and not have them bleed back and actuate all the other valves, i will draw up what you are talking about but with my implementation and we'll go from there... this is quickly becoming my favorite board...
Sebastian

EDIT:
Here is the basic flow diagram of what i want to do, also, most of this is grossly out of proportion, any ideas?
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/gallery/dat ... icflow.JPG

as i'm counting the different phases, i would need 6 stages of valves configurations...

HLT heat/recirc
HLT transfer to MLT
MLT recirc
HLT/MLT Xfer to eKettle/Sparge
eKettle Whirlpool
eKettle Cool/Xfer to Carboy

sorry i guess they don't like "hotlnking" thats fine. anyway... i hope its cached on google i'm not going back to work until monday. any and all help is greatly appreciated!
Zulu

Post by Zulu »

I would be interested in cheaper valves, I have big ideas as well , but need the fiscal motivation now.
ECC

Post by ECC »

Uploaded. If you click in the attachment, it will go full size (cool feature i just stumbled on)
Attachments
basicflow.JPG
basicflow.JPG (88.64 KiB) Viewed 7053 times
bsfixit

Post by bsfixit »

shvanbommel wrote:i may be able to get a few extras of these, depending on what my final price is, would anyone be interested...?
I saw that exact valve part number go for 36 bucks on ebay. I forgot to bid on it near the end of the auction :x
Are you still going to get extra valves? Price? :geek:
ECC

Post by ECC »

Ok, I think I have it down to 2 outputs for all of the valves. Don't ask me how I did it, it involved trial and error, and rearranging things to make it work :geek: ...

Code: Select all

Mode  \   Valve     A  B  C  D  E  F  G      | Mode(out0 + out1)
HLT and MLT Recirc  0  0  0  X  X  0  0      | 00
Sparge              0  1  X  0  0  1  1      | 01
eKettle Whirlpool   1  1  X  1  X  X  X      | 11
eKettle Carboy      1  0  1  X  X  X  X      | 10

Wire Out0 to Valves A,C,D,E
Wire Out1 to Valves B,F,G
I combined your HLT heat and MLT recirc, since they could be in that mode simultaneously. Obviously you could use any 2 outputs, i chose Out0 and Out1. So if you want to Sparge, set Out0=Off, Out1=On. Not sure if you really need ValveG.

Honestly, I didnt think it could be done without adding some external relays/logic, or a 2nd BCS..... but I think this works.. And you have 4 outputs left over for elements and pumps!! Take a look, see if you can find any problems..
Attachments
basicflow2.jpg
basicflow2.jpg (91.09 KiB) Viewed 7033 times
shvanbommel

Post by shvanbommel »

WOW... I'm still trying to process this information...
I guess this will work extremely well if i wire the ekettle seperatly or, hmm.. I mean i suppose i will always be running water in my hlt for cleaning or preparing for my scond batch so i can run both pumps off the same out()...

btw, G is just a regular ball valve (similar to the throttles)