3 Way Solenoid Valves

Discussion of the physical aspects
shvanbommel

3 Way Solenoid Valves

Post by shvanbommel »

Is there a way for a bcs to control a three 3 way valve?
ECC
Bot?: No

Re: 3 Way Solenoid Valves

Post by ECC »

Do you have a particular valve in mind? I'm sure if we can look at the datasheet, we can make something work.
shvanbommel

Post by shvanbommel »

I was thinking about using 6 ASCO Redhat 8316G064 in my brewery to reduce overall piping and would like to know if i can set presets within the bcs for say... a recirculate mode, then the next state would have switched the valves to say a sparge and collect mode, a whirlpool mode, etc. etc. :-)
Thanks!
bsfixit

Post by bsfixit »

So those ASCO valves you referred to are high temp and food safe? For now I am going to use a quick disconnect to switch from the HLT to the Mashtun.
But a valve would be such a convenience.
EDIT: I found this : ASCO Red Hat pilot operated 3-way normally closed solenoid valves will provide control of air, inert gas, water, and other clean flowing media compatible with the materials of construction. These heavy-duty brass body diaphragm poppet valves have resilient seating for tight shutoff. This valve has three ports - one inlet, one outlet and one exhaust port. The inlet flow is blocked and the outlet is connected to the exhaust port with the coil de-energized. The inlet flow is connected to the outlet with the coil energized. 8316 series valves can be mounted in any position and can be used to pilot large process valve actuators.

the logic seems simple. I dont see why the BCS could not control this with a relay.. too bad these are $200- $300 dollar valves. (retail) at 1800 bucks for 6 you are almost halfway to a sabco brew magic system
ECC
Bot?: No

Post by ECC »

Reading the description, it looks very straightforward to control.

There are 3 ports:
  1. inlet
  2. outlet
  3. exhaust
When the coil is de-energized (OutputX=Off), flow is outlet<=>exhaust, inlet blocked
When the coil is energized (OutputX=On), flow is inlet<=>outlet, exhaust blocked

The coil is rated at 120VAC, so you'll need either an SSR or a relay to convert.

--Edit-- bsfixit beat me to it!
shvanbommel

Post by shvanbommel »

yes to all of the above, so all i need to do is ensure that i pipe it in the appropriate direction and when all is said and done when they are actuated the flow will be diverted accordingly, also they have 24vdc and 220vac models, I can actually get them for about 1/30 of the cost so... (almost a five finger discount... almost)
shvanbommel

Post by shvanbommel »

I'm also curious as to how i would wire these up because i know i only get 6 outs... thats 6 valves... hmm... what about my pumps and coils... any ideas?
shvanbommel

Post by shvanbommel »

i may be able to get a few extras of these, depending on what my final price is, would anyone be interested...?
bsfixit

Post by bsfixit »

I might be. it would be nice to have something like that. Depends on the final price though . PM me
and Thanks 2 240v elements or propane and 2 pumps and 2 something else?
shvanbommel

Post by shvanbommel »

no problem :) my total load count looks somewhere along the lines of 1 220 element, 2 110 elements, 2 pumps, 6 valves... do'H! hmm... i wonder if i can just wire the valves to a different controller and using the bcs for just pump/element control but still... any ideas?