All Stainless Steel Temp Probes

Discussion of the physical aspects
ECC
Bot?: No

All Stainless Steel Temp Probes

Post by ECC »

Many people have asked if I offered a fully stainless version of the temperature probes. Upto this point, I've been telling them that the probes themselves ARE 304 SS, its just the bulkhead that's brass. So either put the probe in a SS thermowell, or find a SS bulkhead.

However SS thermowells are VERY expensive, and I hadn't seen any SS bulkheads that would work that were generally accessible. Until this thread on HBT provided the answer.

McMaster: 5182K113 $13.53 TYPE 316 SS YOR-LOK TUBE FITTING, ADAPTER FOR 1/4" TUBE OD X 1/2" NPT MALE PIPE

The author of the HBT thread said that he had to drill it out to allow the probe to pass through the fitting, and also use an o-ring instead of the provided compression sleeve to get a leak-free seal. Also notice that fitting is 1/2" NPT vs. my 1/4". I do not plan on stocking these, but it looks like a good solution for you SS guys. Please post your experiences if you try these!

Pic of the probe with brass compression for reference:
datamike

Re: All Stainless Steel Temp Probes

Post by datamike »

bsfixit

Post by bsfixit »

datamike wrote:Isn't this the same thing?

http://www.buyfittingsonline.com/Fittings/item6742.htm

Michael
it looks close .. but the fitting featured on the top of this thread is cheaper
ECC

Post by ECC »

Another source...

http://www.stirplates.com/probeends.htm

The "Machined Compression Fittings" are $13.00, which are compatible with our probes. And the probe ends that they sell look really nice if you want to construct your own probes with thermistors from digikey our mouser.
BCS Portland

Post by BCS Portland »

This link looks like it might have the right fittings!

http://www.heatonc.com/fittings.php

edit - oops Canada, don't know if they ship to US
gbrewer

Post by gbrewer »

I just ordered from Mcmaster the following...

McMaster: 5182K113 $13.53 TYPE 316 SS YOR-LOK TUBE FITTING, ADAPTER FOR 1/4" TUBE OD X 1/2" NPT MALE PIPE

I will post some pictures once they arrive. I currently use weldless fittings on all my converted kegs. This should work well as weldless.
gbrewer

Post by gbrewer »

Just thought I would pass along that the listed number does not fit the temperature probe. It works as a compression fitting for the 1/4 inch end, however, it does not slide all the way through the 1/2" adapter portion. I am going to see if I can find someone to machine out the adapter to run 1/4" completely through. It is only .19 instead of 1/4".

McMaster: 5182K113
ECC

Post by ECC »

Yeah, I ran into that also with the brass compression fitting of my temp probe stick, I just drilled it out with a 1/4" drill bit. A slightly bigger bit would be better, but with brass I was able to bore it out.
Backyard Brewer

Post by Backyard Brewer »

ECC wrote:Another source...

http://www.stirplates.com/probeends.htm

The "Machined Compression Fittings" are $13.00, which are compatible with our probes. And the probe ends that they sell look really nice if you want to construct your own probes with thermistors from digikey our mouser.
Thanks for the link!

Hi, I'm Derrin from Stirplates.com. These fittings start life as a Swage-Lok 316 SS compression fitting. I bore them out to about .266 so the probe ends will slide through nicely. They also include 2 silicone O-rings as well as the original compression ring.

If you're going this route, I highly recommend you use the fitting to crimp the compression ring onto the tip of the probe end. This will help prevent you from accidentally pulling the probe out of your vessel while you're brewing and spraying hot wort around. Here's an image of a 3/8" thermowell showing a crimped ring: