Wiring indicator lights with on-off-auto toggle switches.

Discussion of the physical aspects
fourem
Bot?: No

Wiring indicator lights with on-off-auto toggle switches.

Post by fourem »

Hello,
I am looking for advice on the proper way to wire an indicator light so it is lit only in the "On" and "Auto" positions of the 3 position toggle switch for my pump(s)? I powered up my control panel for the first time tonight with my pump indicator lights lit in all 3 positions (on,off,auto). I have read that the SSRs I am using to control the pumps will "bleed" voltage, therefore causing the lights to remain lit even in the off position. Is there a way I can resolve this? Thanks for any advice. The BCS is an awesome little box!
Cheers!
ECC

Re: Wiring indicator lights with on-off-auto toggle switches

Post by ECC »

Kind of depends on what you want it to do. Most systems have the indicator light wired in parallel with the pump, so it would be a 120V indicator light. Since its wired in parallel with a load, SSR minimum current isn't an issue. It will light when the pump is active, either when the switch is ON, or when the switch is in auto AND the BCS is activating it.

Can you tell us exactly how you have it wired, and how you want it to behave? Possibly you have it wired to the hot terminal of the SSR instead of the switched one by mistake?
fourem

Post by fourem »

Hello,
I have my pumps wired exactly as the diagram below shows. This is taken from a previous post about toggle switch wiring.
I have one of the lights wires attached to my neutral bus and the other to Post #2 on the SSR.
I feel that this should be a simple fix, yet i'm not grasping fully.
Any rewiring advice would be great. Thanks so much!
clearwaterbrewer

Post by clearwaterbrewer »

The only feasible way would be to have a 2nd set of contacts on the OOA switch, and there are two variants

LED 5V - The two pins on the On and Auto connected to your +5V, and the center pin connected to the LED and then that to ground.

120VAC - The two pins on the On and Auto connected together and to ground, then the center connected to a 120V light and then to line voltage (you could alter this some, by changing hot/neutral, and the two pins and center pin)

-mike
IheartTRAIL

Post by IheartTRAIL »

I just wired a box with precisely this setup for my Manual/Off/Auto switches. One SSR is switching 110VAC for my pump, another is controlling the 24VAC for my Honeywell. I've got 110VAC and 24 VAC indicator LEDs wired in parallel to the corresponding loads. As you mentioned, with no load plugged into my outputs, there's about 5-6 V across the output side of the SSR. This is enough to dimmly light up my LEDs, but when I switch the SSR on, they light up brightly. However, as soon as I plug in a load, the lights go off instead of dim when powered off and light brightly when powered on. Essentially, there's no problem as long as there's a load plugged in.