Advice when buying relay boards

Discussion of the physical aspects
clearwaterbrewer
Bot?: No

Re: Advice when buying relay boards

Post by clearwaterbrewer »

OK, so the whole 'bcs died what happens?' thing got me to see what happened when I yanked the power cord on it.. Leaving all else on... The relays obviously went 'off', but more interesting, the LED's on the SSR's for my HLT/BK/RIMS went ON... I had the Element plugged in for the HLT... while scratching my head... hmmm.... oh, crap... On is ON!!! It only dry fired for a few seconds, maybe 3-4, I doubt it hurt anything...

Question becomes... what can we do to stop this, a large pull-down resistor across the inputs of the SSR? Is this accepted How large?
ECC

Post by ECC »

That seems a very strange. If the BCS had no power, how could the SSR lights be on? There is the possibility of some capacitance holding the voltage for a little bit, but the current of the SSR's LED (and other loads) will drain it very quickly. Having the LED on for 3-4 seconds after the power was removed from the BCS seems unlikely.

Are you doing something weird with the 5vdc pin? I could see this if you were backfeeding it somehow. It might be worth cutting the power to the hot side of the SSR, and try this test again, just to make sure something isn't wired wrong.
clearwaterbrewer

Post by clearwaterbrewer »

It turns out that i did not pull out the connector ALL the way, the inside of the barrel plug was still making contact, but ground was not... I had my relary boards and SSR's externally connected to my 0Vdc bus-bar, not the GND terminal on the BCS.. (and the relay board +Vdc connected to external 5.15V) repeating the experiment even with my proper relay boards activated them and read 3.6v between grounds..

Are the three GND terminals hard wired to the barrel connector inside the BCS? W know now that the 5VDC is not, but wondering about GND

-mike