Wiring/terminal blocks

Discussion of the physical aspects
datamike

Wiring/terminal blocks

Post by datamike »

What are you guys using to distribute incoming power to your SSRs and devices? I building a control box that will house the 460, and six SSRs. How are you getting the power to the individual SSRs? Busbars, terminal blogs with pigtails from the main line? Thanks!

Michael
bsfixit

Re: Wiring/terminal blocks

Post by bsfixit »

This was my first design. I ended up switch two of the 4 SSRS to run on separate 20 amp circuits.. but if you are running red hat asco valves with propane for heat (in hindsight I would have gone proprane or NG , the would have been cheaper after all the electrical parts I bought. I could have fit 2 more SSR's and still may put some more in.
for a total of 6 to match the BCS's 6 ouputs. I used a ground bus bar and cut it in half, them made isolators to keep them off the metal box.
here is a picture
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/tg ... directlink

I later found out the heatsink I made was probably not needed. for the 20 amp lines I later installed. but I am glad I have them . the SSR's may get quite a bit hotter
come the florida summer
Brett
gbrewer
Bot?: No

Post by gbrewer »

Bus Bars seem to be the cleanest and easist way to complete this process. I plan on using two bus bars in my relay enclosure. One will be for the hot side and one will be for the common. You could also consider running your common from relay to relay instead of back to the common bus bar for a cleaner look.
bsfixit

Post by bsfixit »

When I made the first one pictured. I cut the brass tabs that connect the outlets to each other. this allows me to have 4 outlet plugs with the 4 relays. The main wire coming into the enclosure went through a switch. From the brass screw side of the switch I ran the hot wire (black) to one buss. then short wires from the hot buss too each SSR relay. from there, the other side of the relay went out to each brass side of the 4 outlets. Then the silver screw side of the outlets went back inside the inclosure to the neutral (white or common) Buss.

when I realized I needed more power. for the 2 , 2000w heater elements , I left 2 of the SSR's connected to this buss system. I got two plugs and 3 wire 12 ga. braided service cord. the service cords went into the enclosure the insulation was stripped from each service cord. I cut the hot (black) wire only and connected the two ends to its own SSR.
Then the service cords when out another punch out to its own heater element. Making sure I made two copper plates with holes in them large enough for the heater threads and soldered the green ground wire to each copper plate. all the pictures are here. Obviously, the first pictures were the early version and the later pictures are more recent showing the bright yellow service cords.
pictures http://picasaweb.google.com/chrissaleen/BCSPictures#