7-segment displays

Discussion of the physical aspects
nuke314
Bot?: No

7-segment displays

Post by nuke314 »

Has anyone bought and hooked up a 7-segment display yet? I am very interested in doing this. I have a BCS-460 with out any expansion cards. Will purchasing this http://www.oscsys.com/I2C-PID-Display.html work with my current setup? Thanks
JonW
Site Admin

Re: 7-segment displays

Post by JonW »

Myself and another BCS user just received some of these Friday. One of us should have some setup in a day or two and can provide feedback.
nuke314

Post by nuke314 »

I am so glad that someone is trying this. I have built my own BCS and two other systems for other brewers. We are all anxious to try the 7-segment displays. Thanks for the quick response.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

These should work out pretty good. My plan is to have BCS set to show temps for my HLT, MLT & BK on brew day. The rest of the time I'll have them showing temps for my Serving Fridge 1, Serving Fridge 2 & Fermenter. It will be nice to see & check the temps of the refrigerators every time I go to the garage.
clearwaterbrewer

Post by clearwaterbrewer »

I posted this in feature requests:

7-segment display 2 temps?

Postby clearwaterbrewer on Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:00 am
I was looking at the 7-segment external display, current programming has it display setpoint and actual for one input... could we have and option be to have it have 2 actuals?

for actually implementing in the code, I was thinking of having an additional drop-down for 2nd display on each of the 4 expansion modules.
*edit* - changed to 'code to get formatting to show how I intended it to

Code: Select all

display 1 	display 2
Temp0 	Temp0
Temp1 	Set0
Temp2 	Temp1
Temp3 	Set1
Temp4 	Temp2
Temp5 	Set2
Temp6 	Temp3
Temp7 	Set3
			Temp4
			Set4
			Temp5
			Set5
			Temp6
			Set6
			Temp7
			Set7
Last edited by clearwaterbrewer on Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Currently having issues with the 7 segment displays. They power up just fine and go through their self test, but they are not seeing communication from the BCS. The addresses have been set and the BCS has been enabled for them, but still nothing! I have a message in to Adam to see if we can figure this out.

(edited...)

It seems that there was an issue with v3.4.4 and the expansion port that I overlooked. I'll be updating firmware and it should resolve my issue.
Last edited by JonW on Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

OK, firmware updated to 3.4.5 and everything is GREAT!

Baron Ken

Post by Baron Ken »

Jon, is the center display missing the decimal points?

They look great, BTW. :D
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Baron Ken wrote:Jon, is the center display missing the decimal points?

They look great, BTW. :D
Yes, the center display is bad. It is a faulty display that will be swapped out as soon as the replacement arrives.
nuke314

Post by nuke314 »

That looks great. I just got two in for myself. I am a little short of knowledge still. How do I connect them to BCS? I have no wires on the back of mine at all. Do I need to order something else to get mine working? Could you please upload a pic to show how your's are connected? Do I need to order something else to get mine working? Thanks for your hard work. Any documentation on changing I2C addresses would be great also. Attached is photo of what I received.
Attachments
LED2.JPG
LED2.JPG (165.21 KiB) Viewed 7447 times