Brewery Setup

Discussion of the physical aspects
waazupdoc
Bot?: No

Brewery Setup

Post by waazupdoc »

I am curious I am wiring up a brewery and have a few questions. I am not talking about the 5gallons or 10gallon brewery type builds but an actual Brewery. They have 6 Conical Fermenters around 15bbl each and a 15bbl Brewing setup. They have asked me to try and automate it a little but really don't know where to start. I have read a few of these forums and have the basic knowledge of the workings of this controller but don't know if in the end it will work for what they need. Can any one give me a point in the right direction? and please don't tell me to Google it or something like that. I came to the Forum where the Pro's reside so please at least tell me the direction i should be going.

I have 2 network connections that I installed in the brewery but should I put more? and what kind of equipment will be nessesary to make remote control of temps of the Conicals possible?

Thanks Everyone
gbrewer

Re: Brewery Setup

Post by gbrewer »

Welcome to the forums. The BCS460 can easily control the cooling process of your conicals.

I think the users on this forum can help you out by finding a little more information about your system. What are you currently using to cool the conicals? Do you have any automation currently in place?

What wiring do you currently have near the Conicals?
waazupdoc

Post by waazupdoc »

Currently the Conicals are being cooled by Freon to the thermal jacketing of the Conical. I have installed 2 network connections to the area. As for wiring there are wires running back to a board to monitor temperatures and control the temps of the conicals in place.

As for the other information I can try and grab what I can. But unfortunatly we had someone else install the system and we do not know 100% of how it works so please keep that in mind when asking any questions but I will for sure do what I can to find the answers.

Thanks
ECC

Post by ECC »

Probes - make sure exiting probes are compatible. The BCS uses thermistor based probes, if the existing probes are not compatible, you will need to replace them. The existing wiring runs can most likely be reused.

Relays - The BCS outputs are very low voltage, you will need to install relays to control the pumps, if they don't already exist. The 25A SSR's sold on our site will work well, more info here: http://www.embeddedcc.com/wiki/index.ph ... d.2C_types

BCS selection - Sounds like you want a 462 to control 6 separate conicals. That will give you 2 extra temp inputs for future expansion.

Network/Power connections - Sounds like you already have network in the works. The BCS ships with a standard 120V transformer, so you'll need an outlet to plug it in, or an adapter to convert the 2 prong transformer to wires for terminal blocks.

Programming - Start out with manual mode. That is a very simple interface that lets you just plug in the temperature setpoints. Hop on our demo unit (http://ecc.webhop.org:8081) and select Manual Mode from the pulldown to check out the interface. When you're ready to jump into temperature ramps, and more elaborate control, you can easily program processes. Check out this example for controlling fermentation with ramps: http://www.embeddedcc.com/wiki/index.ph ... rmentation