Wiring the SSR to control Solenoid

Discussion of the physical aspects
goodnaturebrewing
Bot?: No

Wiring the SSR to control Solenoid

Post by goodnaturebrewing »

Hi Folks,

I have looked all around the forum for just a basic wiring tutorial and did not see one so I decided to just post.

I am trying to control 3 solenoid valves and each one has its own relay. I have this relay [url http://www.embeddedcc.com/index.php/pro ... a.html/url] and this Solenoid [url http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2-Solenoid-Va ... t_1158/url] My issue lies in that I have the BCS programed to open the valve when it reaches high enough temperature. That seems to be working and the light appears on the SSR when it is triggered, but nothing happens to the valve. What am I doing wrong?

Here is the wiring as well.

BCS GND to relay control (-)
BCS Out (5V) to relay control (+)
12V Power supply (+) to relay input
12V Power supply (-) to solenoid (-)
Relay output to solenoid (+)

Are these the wrong relays?

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers! :(
Baron Ken

Re: Wiring the SSR to control Solenoid

Post by Baron Ken »

Just a quick reply but that linked solenoid is 120v not 12v.
ECC

Post by ECC »

Baron Ken wrote:Just a quick reply but that linked solenoid is 120v not 12v.
Which is actually a very good thing, because the relays are AC not DC :). The SSR's weren't designed switch 12vdc.

Replace 12V Power supply (+) with 120V HOT and 12V Power supply (-) with 120V COM, and you should be good to go.
goodnaturebrewing

ECC wrote:
Baron Ken wrote:Just a quick reply but that linked solenoid is 120v not 12v.
Which is actually a very good thing, because the relays are AC not DC :). The SSR's weren't designed switch 12vdc.

Replace 12V Power supply (+) with 120V HOT and 12V Power supply (-) with 120V COM, and you should be good to go.
Thank you. Only one question how do I get a 120v supply? Should I just tap in to my 120v plug?

~Matt
goodnaturebrewing

Also is it possible for the BCS to power the relays and a valve without any additional power supply?
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

goodnaturebrewing wrote:Also is it possible for the BCS to power the relays and a valve without any additional power supply?
SSR relays yes, valves no. The BCS outputs are 5V and can only provide 20 mA of current. Think of these as "trigger" outputs. They can trigger a device, but they cannot power it.