External 7 segment displays

Discussion of the physical aspects
rcrabb22
Bot?: No

External 7 segment displays

Post by rcrabb22 »

I am researching adding 3 external temp displays to my control panel. According to the Wiki I would connect one external display (DSPLY1) to GND, EXP0 and EXP1, plus add a 12V external power source. The 2 other external displays would then daisy chain from DSPLY1. I would then need to set the receiving addresses on each display to 0x2A, 0x2B, 0x2C respectively. I then need to enable the external displays from the system setting page on the BCS and associate them with the appropriate temp probes. Is this correct? Do I need a separate 12V power source for each external display?

Thanks
JonW
Site Admin

Re: External 7 segment displays

Post by JonW »

Just one power supply. Make all your connections on the first LED and then it daisy chains to the others.
rcrabb22

Post by rcrabb22 »

Thanks !!!
mycarr

Post by mycarr »

This sounds like a great idea that would work out well on my system.
Please post your results, equipment listing and any pics if possible. Thanks!
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

I have 3 of these installed in my enclosure. I had originally planned on having them display my two serving kegerators and my fermenter when not brewing and then change them to display my HLT, MLT & BK on brew day. Since I have a touchscreen setup for brew day, I just leave all 3 setup to my fridges. It is really nice when I go out to the garage to be able to see the current temps without having to look at the BCS gui.

BentTwigBrew

Post by BentTwigBrew »

JonW,

Any tips on mounting these displays on your panel? Did you cut one large rectangular hole or two smaller ones?
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

I initially screwed up cutting my holes as I did outlines of the outer lens, then marked the size of the LCD inside that box. Then when I went to cut it, I followed the wrong line! I ended up just cutting out a larger rectangle and then made the aluminum front plate to mount them on. Another friend mounted his directly in his panel and they look nice. Either way will work.
BentTwigBrew

Post by BentTwigBrew »

Did u use a dremel cut off wheel to make the cuts? I'm not looking forward to attempting the rectangle cutout.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

You could use a dremel cut-off wheel or a jig saw with a bi-metal blade.
BentTwigBrew

Post by BentTwigBrew »

Cool deal. Back to the OP. When wiring one of these to the bcs, do you ground to the bcs or the ground to the 12v power supply? In emails back and forth with OSCSYS they recommended I use their I2C cable and cut off one of the ends to get to the 4 wires. This gives the two blue wires to EXP0 and EXP1 on the bcs, the black wire to to +12vdc power supply, and lastly the red wire (ground) to the power supply or bcs?