Crydom SSRs. D2425

Discussion of the physical aspects
jbuffone

Crydom SSRs. D2425

Post by jbuffone »

I need a rely to power a 2000Watt 120V AC heating element. Do all Crydom SSRs. D2425 support DC input and AC output or do they make different types under that model #? What exactly do I look for in the spec sheet to ensure I'm getting DC input and AC output?
np0x
Bot?: No

Re: Crydom SSRs. D2425

Post by np0x »

You have the right ones in my experience

the D24 portion of the part number indicates that the control voltage is DC up to 24 volts. the 25 indicates that it can handle 25 amps of power. So on a 110 volt circuit 2000 watts would pull about 18 amps, I would recommend some passive cooling like a heat sink or mounting them to a larger mass at that draw level. Even putting them in a large box with good surface contact would probably be enough.

There are ac ones that I believe start with an A. A 40 amp version of the same ssr would be called something like D2440.
Check out the Brew Buddy for iphone controlling your bcs-460.
ECC

Post by ECC »

For the Crydom SSRs, the first letter of the part number specifies the control voltage type. D2425 is DC, A2425 is AC.

The datasheet is attached to this thread, there is a small "Model Numbers" table at the top of the sheet. Kind of confusing since they use the same datasheet for both types.

--EDIT-- meh, i'm not quick enough.
np0x

Post by np0x »

I am looking for any distraction from memory leak hunting in my bcs iphone app...stay tuned...
jbuffone

Post by jbuffone »

Thanks for the replies and info. I've read the spec sheet and am still having trouble figuring out exactly which model I need.
np0x

Post by np0x »

the D2425 is a great choice it's all i have need for. 25 amps at 110 is a theoretical 2750 watts, that should work fine for a single 2000 watt element. You would want additional ssr's for any other items. I use 3 for brewing, 2 each with a 2000 watt element, and a third for my two pumps. I have a fourth that controls my fermentation fridge 24/7/365. Go 1 watt power consumption bcs. Feel free to pm me if you have more specific questions.

p.s. I think i found my memory leak, thankfully.
bsfixit

Post by bsfixit »

There was another BCS brewer on this forum, I forget the name, that used the Crydom D2425 with a 240v element(s). All he did was bolt them to the back of a metal load center type box with heatsink compound. Silicone based I assume, not the silver based for CPU's. Well they work fine apparently installed like that. IIRC he used 4500 watt elements at 240 volts, thats only 18.75 amps draw across the SSR. Still below the 80% of the max amps draw of 25 amps. My setup was overkill with a Pentium 4 heatsink with 2 D2425 mounted on them. and a fan that pulls air through the control box I put everything in. They get a little warm with 110v and 2, 2000 watt elements running on 2 SSR's.
Its a great SSR and if you search Ebay they can be found for cheap. I have some extra 2" (50mm) square fans 12v, If anyone is interested in them. They are small enough to
fit in a padded 1st class USPS mail envelope. So shipping should be less than 2 dollars. They flow really well. I also have a Radio Shack 40mm 12v fan. I didn't use it when I found the 50mm fans. But I already threw away the box and receipt. It was 12.95 new from RS. If anyone wants to buy any of these fans please PM me an offer. I found the 80 mm regular computer fans were just too bulky and loud for my control box.

But in Short .. the Crydom D2425 are good SSR's can be used with 110 or 240. DC input up to 32 volts.
jbuffone

Post by jbuffone »

Thank you everyone, I also wrote the Crydom sale rep and he confirmed I should use the D2425 and with a HS-2 heatsink.

Thanks again, now its time to get this new device up and running, can't wait.
np0x

Post by np0x »

I have been trying to find a cheaper alternative like an old stereo heat sink, or simply mounting them to a larger enclosure that functions as a heat sink. I haven't really gotten far with this, but the proper heat sinks from crydom were I felt more spendy than I wanted ($20 each). I know the mpilchuk just has his mounted directly to a larger enclosure(12inch square) and has no known heat issues. Mine are just in handy boxes, they get warmer than I would like, so I am moving mine to a large box as well with all my other wiring.