Contactor, Relay, SSR?

Discussion of the physical aspects
Kent
Bot?: No

Contactor, Relay, SSR?

Post by Kent »

I have been reading posts here, and in other forums most the afternoon, and I just keep getting more and more confused. It appears that some people are using their SSR's to run a relay or contactor to put the power to the heating elements. In other posts I am seeing sketches without anything between the SSR and the heating element. Some I am seeing people running one leg of the 220 straight to the element, which seems like a really bad idea to me.

Am I anywhere close on what I have drawn up here? Are most people adding a EStop to their boxes? If so where are you getting it and how is is wired in?

I am thinking I would like to have both mechanical switches and the BCS switches to override the pumps and heating elements. If anyone has any sketches on doing that I would sure appreciate it.

It seems like 3 or 4 schematics of some pretty standard setups that would serve as good starting points would be really useful.

Thanks for any help.
Attachments
First thoughts on wiring.
First thoughts on wiring.
BCS Wiring.JPG (88.22 KiB) Viewed 3193 times
clearwaterbrewer

Re: Contactor, Relay, SSR?

Post by clearwaterbrewer »

Here is a screen capture of a Visio with pretty much all you are asking for. (I need to update a few things, but can email the Visio, just PM me...)

( FYI - would not use discrete relay/SSR for pump, but a board with several on it... )
Brewery Controller v1.2.png
Brewery Controller v1.2.png (60.83 KiB) Viewed 3180 times
Kent

Re: Contactor, Relay, SSR?

Post by Kent »

Thanks ... PM sent.