wiring a relay

Discussion of the physical aspects
jbuffone

wiring a relay

Post by jbuffone »

Hello,

Connecting the BCS will be my first opportunity to wire a relay. Would any of you have a diagram or simple explanation as to how I would go about...
wiring the rely to a heating element and then to the BSC? Where in the line does the rely get placed? What gauge wire should I use? The element is 2000W 110V AC.

John
gbrewer
Bot?: No

Re: wiring a relay

Post by gbrewer »

Welcome to the world of automation. Wiring a relay is really a simple task. As far as the actual 120v circuit is concerned, it is essentially the same as wiring a 120v wall switch to control a light. Just consider the low voltage input as the same activity of flipping the light switch with your hand. You wire the 120v hot side of the circuit up stream from the pump or rims chamber to the relay. The common leg is wired to the common leg of the pump or element. The other side of the relay is controlled by the output on the BCS controller. I used Cat 5 cable from the BCS To the relay for the low voltage side. There is an example in the WIKI portion of the website.

It sounds like your water heater element will draw around 18 amps. Make sure you wire your circuit to handle this load.

REMEMBER THAT ELECTRICITY CAN KILL. If you are uncertain on how to wire an outlet or a switch circuit, perhaps a friend can offer you some advice.

Good luck!