Check my Wiring

Discussion of the physical aspects
BentTwigBrew
Bot?: No

Check my Wiring

Post by BentTwigBrew »

I am ready to start wiring my 462 to control fermentation heating and cooling. Right now I just have one fermentor running, but will eventually add a second. My fermentor is a sanke with copper wrapped around it to circulate glycol and a heat pad for when we are in the cold months. When I add the second fermentor I will need to use two solenoid valves and another heat pad. The electronics will all be contained in an electrical enclosure with panel mount 5-15 and cat 5 receptacles. The controller and router will be outside of this enclosure. When I start using this for brewing control I will use a second enclosure. I know this seems like overkill, but the brew rig is halfway across the room from the fermentors.

So I am looking for a sanity check on my wiring diagram. I am going to use Cat 5 cable to send the 5v signals into the electrical box from the BCS and the Temp Probes. In the enclosure I will use 24 awg wire to connect to the SSR's. I am using Din rails to mount everything and Din terminal blocks. There will be common ground blocks for the 5v and the blocks for the signal line just to keep everything organized.

For the 120v, I have common neutral and common ground blocks. For Line I use the blocks to wire in an E-Stop, LED lights, and Fuses.

Does it all make sense? I know that I have an extra 120v neutral block and an extra 5v ground block. Also I have ferm heat and cool plug receptacles labeled backwards. The Fuses I will use are 5a. I did all this in MS Paint so it is a pain to change :shock:

The one thing I was thinking of adding is a temp display module from the brew troller website. For that I will buy a din mount 12v power supply and wire line, neutral, and ground to it, then wire that to the line and ground on the module. From the BCS I will have to wire EXP0, EXP1, and Ground to the module. I just thought of that today so that is why it is not in the diagram. Does this wiring make sense?

Am I missing anything here?
BCS 462 wiring diagram fermentation_final.jpg
BCS 462 wiring diagram fermentation_final.jpg (210.93 KiB) Viewed 6406 times
BentTwigBrew

Re: Check my Wiring

Post by BentTwigBrew »

This link might provide a diagram that is easier to view.

http://home-and-garden.webshots.com/pho ... 0059hiCLlc
haasobrew

Post by haasobrew »

I like your diagram. I plan to do something similar. Have you done this and does it work?
I currently have my bcs in a box next to my ferm fridge, controlling it. I want to put an auxiliary box on my brewstand that will plug in on brewday. How does the cat5e cable do with muliple temp probes and d-outs? Also i am new to wiring and have no clue where to put fuses amd such.
I threw this sketch together over a few pints.. just a rough sketch. Im thinking about putting indicator lights by each of the three switches also. Your diagram showed by how to wire those.
Attachments
rigging_small1.jpg
rigging_small1.jpg (171.35 KiB) Viewed 6224 times
BentTwigBrew

Post by BentTwigBrew »

I wired my whole system up as I showed in the diagram and it is working perfectly. I initially had a defective temp probe that drove me insane for a while but I purchased a new one and it is working perfectly.

Running the 5v signal through the cat5 cable works well and I haven't noticed any interference. I only have one temp probe running through the cat5 now so I can't really say if another would affect it. I don't believe it would though.

I did add the 7 segment display to my panel which required a 12v supply. That isn't incorporated into my wiring diagram, but it is also woking well. I am not an expert on fuse placement but I believe you want them as close to the unit you are powering as possible. On my setup they are the last thing the line voltage travels through before being sent to the pump or heater. No problems yet...knock on wood.

Next step in the project is to add a second fermentor. This will include control for a solenoid valve to switch the glycol between fermentor 1 and 2 or both and a second heater. Once that is setup I will dive into the world of brewing control...look out.

I will try and update my wiring diagram to capture fermentor 2 addition and the 2 - 7 segment displays.