Thermowell question

Discussion of the physical aspects
ECC
Bot?: No

Re: Thermowell question

Post by ECC »

datamike wrote:Edit: Would this work well? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835100007
Yes, that's perfect
datamike

Post by datamike »

Thanks! I guess another option is that if indeed the probe is always the same amount off of real temp, that I can change the resistance setting in System Settings to bring it in line with the true temp, yes?

Michael
ECC

Post by ECC »

Correct. You can calibrate the thermistors using the instructions here.

But you really shouldn't need to. The thermistor probes have proven to be very accurate right out of the box. Let us know if the thermal paste clears up the discrepancy.
EAB

Post by EAB »

Any update on this?

I have my temperature sensor in a long thermowell going into the top of my conical and I see about a 2.5 F swing in temperature during about a 90 second interval. I'm wondering if the resistance is changing due to the length of my cord (about 15 feet) or if it may be more readily attributed to the actual thermowell. The liquid temperature should be fairly steady, so such deviations may simply be due to issues with resistance in my cable (Cat 5e cable was used to lengthen the probe's wire). Thoughts?
ECC

Post by ECC »

Are you using a probe purchased from ECC? If not, did you update the temperature probe coefficients to match the ones provided by the manufacturer?

Any added resistance in the wire should be a steady value. If its not overly sensitive from incorrect coefficients, my guess is electrical interference. You should never see 2.5 degree swings over 90sec, a thermowell should conversely make the sensors less sensitive due to the added thermal mass.

You could try using a shielded wire for the temperature probes. It also might be worth doing some experiments with wire placement, like moving the wires physically away from any high voltage lines if that's possible.
EAB

Post by EAB »

Yeah, that's what I'm thinking I'll do. They are the ones you sell and I'll try some shielded cabling. Right now the ECC is controlling my homemade glycol system and conical. It's awesome outside of the fluctuating temperature issue. I'll repost when I have finished my changes.

Thanks!
np0x

Post by np0x »

I had that problem controlling a fridge, it was resolved by using a shielded cable from radio shack. My runs were at least 40 feet, I only had to shield the section that went near the compressor of the fridge. Due to my situation the majority of the run was cat-5, going past the fridge was the shielded wire.

I believe this is the stuff:

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... Id=2062643
Check out the Brew Buddy for iphone controlling your bcs-460.
EAB

Post by EAB »

I'm going to try to pick that up today and get it installed. Thank you.