Thermowell question

Discussion of the physical aspects
datamike

Thermowell question

Post by datamike »

Adam or anyone else,

I am looking at these thermowells on eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 3DWatching

The have a .26 i.d. Will the standard 460 probes fit in this?

Thanks!
Michael
missing_link

Re: Thermowell question

Post by missing_link »

You don't need a thermo well with the BCS-460 probes, they are in one already. You will just need a bushing to go from 1/4 FPT to 1/2 MPT.

Linc
datamike

Post by datamike »

missing_link wrote:You don't need a thermo well with the BCS-460 probes, they are in one already. You will just need a bushing to go from 1/4 FPT to 1/2 MPT.

Linc
I am looking for something all stainless.....
np0x
Bot?: No

Post by np0x »

sure beat's $22+shipping from stpats...

http://www.stpats.com/ I will put a caliper on one of my thermoresistors if someone doesn't beat me to it and report back..
Check out the Brew Buddy for iphone controlling your bcs-460.
ECC

Post by ECC »

Yes. Our ITP-x10K probes have an outer diameter of 0.25", which is pretty much industry standard. It's also industry standard to use 0.26" thermowells with 0.25" sensors, the extra 0.01" to give enough room to slide it in, and for thermowell compound to keep good contact.

Thats a great price for SS thermowells. You might want to get an 1/4->1/2 NPT adaptor so you can thread in the probe to the outside of the thermowell.
gbrewer

Post by gbrewer »

I did something similar with other temperature probes. What I noticed was when I placed a "thermowell in a thermowell", it took the temperature more time to become true. I seemed like my controllers responded slower and it took longer for the temperature sensors to react. I attributed this to have a thicker wall. I run a stainless steel thermometer in all my kegs as well as the temperature probes. It seemed like the stainless was always 5 - 10 degrees behind the curve as the temperature was rising.

That is a great price, though... If I knew what the material was they poured in to secure the thermoresistors in the probe, I might consider putting a thermoresistors directly inside that bad boy.

Eric
np0x

Post by np0x »

For sure you are adding thermal mass between the temperature pickup and the liquid, BUT I think the use of thermal paste(or some water or keg lube) is MANDATORY, the heat conductive properties of air are so bad that you are insulating the thermoresister with an air barrier if you don't use thermal paste. I also think that the pid's will figure it out if you are using them instead of differential programing on the cycling of the out's when targeting the temperature even with a lag it should develop a sense for what the lag is.
Zulu

Post by Zulu »

I Use keg lube - like Noah suggests.
Silicon paste is too messy
datamike

Post by datamike »

I've got the thermowells installed and I am starting to test my system. The thermoprobes are running about 6 degrees less than the kettle thermometers (calibrated). I am guessing the first step is the thermal paste you suggest. Where and what specific brand you recommend? Any other suggestions?

Michael

Edit: Would this work well? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6835100007
np0x

Post by np0x »

datamike wrote:Where and what specific brand you recommend? Any other suggestions?
Use keg lube or vaseline, both are handy and you just need something that's not air in the space. I would also steer away from silicone paste as it's not something i really want to ingest nor does it matter the conductivity of the paste, what matters is the removal of the air from between the thermoresister and the walls of the thermowell.