Toggle switch with 2 led lights

Discussion of the physical aspects
eatmoshad
Bot?: No

Toggle switch with 2 led lights

Post by eatmoshad »

I need help wiring a on/off/automatic toggle switch with a green for auto & a red led for manual on. I used the basic diagram in a previous post for the toggle switch and everything worked great. Just not sure on the led's. If anyone has a diagram or add to the existing one, that would be great.
eatmoshad

Re: Toggle switch with 2 led lights

Post by eatmoshad »

On-Off-Auto2.jpg
On-Off-Auto2.jpg (25.52 KiB) Viewed 9175 times
This was the diagram I was refering to.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

That is a "single pole, double throw" switch. To wire up led's for each side, I would just use a "double pole, double throw" switch. That way you keep the LED circuit isolated from the SSR control circuit.
clearwaterbrewer

Post by clearwaterbrewer »

I agree, and put 5V to the center pin, and hook the green and red to the two other contacts and then through a resistor to ground.
eatmoshad

Post by eatmoshad »

On-Off-Auto2.1.jpg
On-Off-Auto2.1.jpg (37.31 KiB) Viewed 9138 times
I now have the switch working but one issue. I have one red led indicating that the switch is on manually which works great. The other green led that is to indicate that the BCS is controlling it will not work. Attached is the diagram I updated.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

You need to use the second set of poles on the switch for the LED's. See image below.
In this example, I used 5V LED's w/ a resistor. You could also feed the center pin with 12V depending on what type of LED's or status lamps you wanted to use. Also, depending on the type of LED/lamp you may not need the resistor. (Many LED's will quickly burn out if you don't use a current limiting resistor).
On-Off-Auto-DPDT.jpg
On-Off-Auto-DPDT.jpg (32.32 KiB) Viewed 9137 times
eatmoshad

Post by eatmoshad »

Excellent, thank you so very much! I am using LED's with resistors inside.
cyberbackpacker

Post by cyberbackpacker »

How would I manipulate this in order to use 120v led lamps? Or, could I use a 6v lamp like this (http://www.ebay.com/itm/LED-Accident-In ... 61cd2e7ab9) and power it using the 5v+ output on the BCS itself?

As I understand that 5v+ on the BCS is a constant output, so it would be "on" at all times, provided the bcs is plugged in, correct?
ksl177

Post by ksl177 »

That would be how you'd wire it for the 5 (6v) LEDs. The second +5v powers the LEDs in either the "manual" or "auto" states.

I'm pretty sure that the BCS +5v out is switched since it's a common ground, and the presence of voltage is what causes the SSRs to function.

If you wanted to use 120v LEDs you'd have to settle for an "on" indicator wired in parallel between the SSR 120v+ out and the device. Although in practice, that wouldn't be a bad thing to include anyways as it'd give visual confirmation that the SSR is indeed engaged.
clearwaterbrewer

Post by clearwaterbrewer »

for 120V, you could use the diagram with the red and green LED's and resistor, but instead connect that switch pole center to 120VAC hot (instead of +5V) , and the 120V lights/LED's each to Neutral ( instead of to the the resistor and ground).