Power Switch Tail and Pilot Light

Discussion of the physical aspects
gbrewer
Bot?: No

Power Switch Tail and Pilot Light

Post by gbrewer »

I am interested in starting a discussion about the different ways to use the power switch tail with a control panel.

If you were building a control panel and wanted to power a 22mm light in the panel when the power switch tail is activated, how would you do it? Can the BCS460 trigger the power switch tail and a separate relay at the same time? What about making a manual override by way of a three way switch? Would you have a separate transformer to feed the relay side of the power switch tail? Is it possible to trigger the relay side of the power switch tail using the 5v from the bcs and 12v from a manual source? What about 24v ?

General ideas?
clearwaterbrewer

Re: Power Switch Tail and Pilot Light

Post by clearwaterbrewer »

Assuming your 12V is DC and 24v is AC..

What other relays/relay boards do you have in your panel? If you have a spare relay on a relay board, use it, as it will work with any voltage, DC or AC.. if you don't have a relay board and want one, now is the time to get it.

If you want super compact and already have 12V DC, use a Transistor or CMOS IC to use the BCS signal to switch 12V to the 22mm LED...

Optionally, a LED/resistor combo for 5V direct from BCS would work, but is not standard for most 22mm lights, and draws power from the BCS, which is not ideal.
gbrewer

Post by gbrewer »

I already have a working panel but am planning on a seperate venture.

I don't have any parts for the new panel. I would rather not put any extra power loads on the bcs and risk damage to the controller. I want to keep this installation as clean as possible and possibly (not for certain) use a din rail for my proccess.

What I do know for certain is the 22MM LED lights that I will use require 24v AC or DC.
clearwaterbrewer

Post by clearwaterbrewer »

gbrewer wrote: What I do know for certain is the 22MM LED lights that I will use require 24v AC or DC.
The problem with AC is the more(usually) specialized and costly switching... if you only have 24VAC for say, a Gas Valve, then I would just choose relay boards big enough to cover the indicator lights.. but then the relay board needs power... most efficient relay boards appear to be the 12V powered ones.. so there is your 12VDC.... use it to drive the LED's via a simple transistor circuit
http://www.electronicsteacher.com/tutor ... istors.php
TerrenceEvans

Post by TerrenceEvans »

clearwaterbrewer wrote:Assuming your 12V is DC and 24v is AC..

What other relays/relay boards do you have in your panel? If you have a spare relay on a relay board, use it, as it will work with any voltage, DC or AC.. if you don't have a relay board and want one, now is the time to get it.

If you want super compact and already have 12V DC, use a Transistor or CMOS IC to use the BCS signal to switch 12V to the 22mm led lighting...

Optionally, a LED/resistor combo for 5V direct from BCS would work, but is not standard for most 22mm lights, and draws power from the BCS, which is not ideal.
Very exciting thread indeed.. Thanks for sharing so many different ways and now I will try to implement them