momentary switch to control temp settings

Discussion of the physical aspects
BeerHog
Bot?: No

momentary switch to control temp settings

Post by BeerHog »

I'm looking for direction on setting up two momentary switches (up and down) to adjust temp settings. I would think they would need to be connected through DIN's and somehow incorporated into the processes. Has anyone done this yet?
kevin509

Re: momentary switch to control temp settings

Post by kevin509 »

I haven't found anyone posting how they are using the Dins. There has to be some use for these connections.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

DIN's can be used for a lot of things, but adjusting set temps is not one of them.

I use a DIN as an input to tell the BCS to silence the alarm output. I also use one as a button input to manually fire my igniters. Many people use them for level/float sensors to start or stop states/processes.
ChuckO2999

Post by ChuckO2999 »

I use 2 DIN's to control boil kettle heat with PWM, momentary contact center off switch, one way to jump a boil program to a step 5% higher pulse width, other way to jump the boil program to a step 5% lower pulse width. I have redundant exit conditions set up so that I can use windows buttons if I happen to be monitoring that process at the time.
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

I'm guessing you just have multiple states setup in a boil process that have different PWM values and you're jumping to a different state to get the desired duty cycle? Correct?
ChuckO2999

Post by ChuckO2999 »

JonW,

You're right, I first figured out the minimum PWM value to maintain a boil at minimum volume in my system, conveniently in the middle of the summer. I then then set my lowest PWM value at the nearest 5% increment below that. Worked out to be 45% with a 5500w element. I then programmed 7 other steps through 80% and set exit conditions for each step to be from 'UP' DIN, or 'DOWN' DIN momentary contact switches to move between them. This process is named "Adjust Boil" and is started by my boil process when the wort comes to a boil at the same time the boil process gives up control of the element. When my boil process times out to end of boil, it kills the "Adjust Boil" process and takes back control of the element to shut it off.
clearwaterbrewer

Post by clearwaterbrewer »

It sure would be a LOT nicer if someone designed a external display that was much more like a PID that the thing that is currently available.... same DIN size, buttons that made it go up and down (either temp or duty cycle %), etc...