Solenoid actuated valves?

Discussion of the physical aspects
don.fief@comcast.net
Bot?: No

Solenoid actuated valves?

Post by don.fief@comcast.net »

I would like to turn on and off my water inlet to the HLT with a valve controlled by my BCS. I have searched for some valves that can do this, but can't seem to find one... I am new to this. Is there a souce that is already proven?

Thank you!

Don
JonW
Site Admin

Re: Solenoid actuated valves?

Post by JonW »

There's a good selection of solenoid valves on Ebay from these guys: http://stores.ebay.com/valves4projects

I use those for my natural gas valves and I have a plastic one from them that I'm making a HLT/MLT water filling meter with.

They work great for water, gas or clean liquids, but don't use them for wort. They are difficult to get clean without completely taking them apart each time you brew. If it's only for your water inlet like stated, they'll work fine.
clearwaterbrewer

Re: Solenoid actuated valves?

Post by clearwaterbrewer »

any ASCO 'red hat' type valve with the proper ratings will work.. 1/4"-1/2" brass or stainless are fine for filling a HLT... if you are super cheap, a washing machine valve could be used... even 1/8" would be OK if you have a carbon filter you want to run your water through and not go too fast... just search eBay for soleniod valve

I suggest staying with a coil voltage that already exists in your system(don't pick 24VAC if you do not already have 24VAC transformer implemented, stay with 120VAC), and operating it with a relay (most likely a relay on a 2, 4, or 8 channel relay board).

-mike