Fermentation pumps

Discussion of the physical aspects
bergerrings
Bot?: No

Fermentation pumps

Post by bergerrings »

Morning everyone.

I am setting up a fermentation control system and as such need a couple of pumps, one for pumping glycol (around the -15C mark) and one for a warm solution, around 40C. The pumping duty will be more than a march pump (even the large one) could supply so just wondering if anyone has any links/reccommendations for me? Each fermenter will have about 2x8m of piping for heating and cooling jackets and worst case scenario will have all five running at once, so each pump will need to pump along 40-50m of pipe. Unsure on the dimensions/materials of tubing as of yet so am unable to give an exact head loss yet (still deciding on what exactly us use).
The cooling/heating pipes will run on seperate lines and will simply be wrapped around the fermenters with closed cell insulation covering the piping to minimise losses from the system.

Approx summary:
Max temp: 40-60C
Min temp: -18C
Piping length: 40-50m

I found this link on ebay but it is rather cheap and I have no idea on its quality:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-ELECTRIC ... 3cc1056aff

It seems rather large and heavy duty and for only $50 I will probably just buy one and see how it goes.

I haven't deciding on the exact method of heating either. I was just thinking of an insulated container with an element which would be controlled at say 40c all the time (during winter/at night/high ferm temps are used/multiple fermenters are connected) or prehaps a smaller container which heats up when the fermenters need to be heated OR a hybrid between the two and switch between the two methods when needed - say summer and winter?
Anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks in advance for your help everyone!

Damo
clearwaterbrewer
Bot?: No

Re: Fermentation pumps

Post by clearwaterbrewer »

you could also try the $35 Harbor freight sump pumps... I use one to run ice water through my wort chiller sine I have 80 degree ground water