Detachable temperature probe

Discussion of the physical aspects
BCS Portland

Detachable temperature probe

Post by BCS Portland »

Hi all -

My first post here as I just got the BCS and I am a bit overwhelmed. Just accumulating parts at this point and although I did purchase one temperature probe from ECC I want additional ones with a detachable probe. Can anyone point me to one that will work with the BCS. Auber instruments has some but I can't tell (don't know enough yet) if they are compatible.

Thanks

Lance
ECC
Bot?: No

Re: Detachable temperature probe

Post by ECC »

What you need to look for when searching for probes is NTC Thermistor probes, 10kohms. I looked on the Auber site, and it looks like they only offer thermocouple and RTD probes as far as I can tell, neither of which is compatible.

Omega has a wide range of thermistor based probes:
http://www.omega.com/toc_asp/subsection ... ture&all=1

And if anyone else has a link please post. As far as a detachable probe, thermistors are pretty forgiving when it comes to connectors, unlike thermocouples.. So most any connector will work.

Welcome to the forum.
microbusbrew

Post by microbusbrew »

I'm assuming you're looking for something that allows you to easily detach the probes from the BCS without having to unscrew the connecting terminals. If so, I used these male/female connectors from radio shack:
http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... nSession=1
So far they've worked great on my setup.
BCS Portland

Post by BCS Portland »

Thanks for the replies - I did not realize that I could just splice in my own connector and not upset the electronics. I had thought of panel connectors but will choose to disconnect closer to the keggle so I don't have cords hanging around if I need to move the keggle.
bsfixit

Post by bsfixit »

Just solder the wires to the metal prongs on the connectors. That way you have a solid connection that wont corrode.
Backyard Brewer

Post by Backyard Brewer »

Hey guys,

I make complete probes and have one that works with the BCS460. they have polished stainless steel ends that are TIG welded and fully polished.

http://www.brewershardware.com/probes.htm

I haven't had time to add them to the site, but I have a Pico 8 cable option that runs $16 more per probe with a 2 meter cable.

They actual probe has a short 4" cable that ends in a Pico M8 connector and then there is a balance of a 2M cable on the mating connector. M8 connnector:

NakedDave

Post by NakedDave »

So Cutting the probe wires and adding connectors won't cause any problems? Can't think of why it would but want to be sure. I'd like to run the probes in my fermenters and this would make it much easier.
jkurl

Post by jkurl »

auber instruments has a connector that works really well. I used this for a rims controller box which allows me to unhook the probe drom the box. it is easy to assemble, put and take off.
http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_ ... cts_id=118
gbrewer

Post by gbrewer »

I really like that option of panel mounted. That is really cool.
jkurl

Post by jkurl »

I even did the power to the heating element that way. I found a old 2 pin microphone male and female plug for power to the heating element and got a water proof power plug for main power. The entire box is portable and so is the rims portion. I did it that way so I could easily store it. here is a pic of the box and the rims tube
IMG_0022.png
IMG_0022.png (102.41 KiB) Viewed 9006 times
101_0907.png
101_0907.png (102.83 KiB) Viewed 9006 times