programming the Bluto 555

Discussion relating to using BCS system in a commercial environment
banjolawyer
Bot?: No

programming the Bluto 555

Post by banjolawyer »

OK, I'm posting this in the BCS for Pros forum because no one else has started a thread here... not because I'm a professional brewer... I'm just a brewer. Having been a lawyer for 15 years, I do this to get away from being professional, not to be one. But this is a system that is grossly oversized for homebrewing, but which I think would be perfect for a small brewpub or nanobrewery.

I've been working on it for a LONG TIME. I created a blog about it at bluto555.com, but haven't updated it in a couple of months. During that time, I've been working on the electrical wiring... (a few new pics uploaded to my picasa gallery.

I believe all the wiring is correct (with the help of an electrician!), and I'm just getting started working with the BCS-462. I've connected to the BCS through my router and updated the firmware with no problems. Whew! All this is out of my league, but that's what I enjoy about it.

Here are my system inputs and outputs:

Temperature Probe Inputs
Temp 0 = Temp Probe Kettle 1
Temp 1 = Temp Probe Kettle 2
Temp 2 = Temp Probe Kettle 3
Temp 3 = Temp Probe Kettle 4
Temp 4 = Temp Probe Kettle 5

Discrete Inputs
Din 0 = Float Switch Kettle 1
Din 1 = Float Switch Kettle 2
Din 2 = Float Switch Kettle 3
Din 3 = Float Switch Kettle 4
Din 4 = Float Switch Kettle 5

Discrete Outputs
Out 0 = Kettle 1 Heat Valve
Out 1 = Kettle 2 Heat Valve
Out 2 = Kettle 3 Heat Valve
Out 3 = Kettle 4 Heat Valve
Out 4 = Kettle 5 Heat Valve

Out 6 = Kettle 1 Pump
Out 7 = Kettle 2 Pump
Out 8 = Kettle 3 Pump
Out 9 = Kettle 4 Pump
Out 10 = Kettle 5 Pump

Out 11 = Sparge Valve Kettle 1
Out 12 = Sparge Valve Kettle 2
Out 13 = Sparge Valve Kettle 3
Out 14 = Sparge Valve Kettle 4
Out 15 = Sparge Valve Kettle 5

Maybe some of you can help me figure out some programming basics. One of the first things I want to do as I'm testing everything out, but prior my first test batch, is to create a youtube video showing the 5 burners firing at different intervals. But before I push it outside and hook it up to the gas, I figured I'd do something similar with the pumps.... you know just turning them on and off and different intervals, all via the BCS. If I can figure out how to program the BCS to turn the pumps on and off at various intervals, I know I can do it for the burners too.

First, I've tried to create a process to simply turn pump 1 on and then off, but it's not working.

On the Process Setup screen for Process 0
I named Process 0 "testing pumps" and named State 0 through State 4 as "Testing Pump 1" through "Testing Pump 5"

For State 0, I checked the "control" and "directly controlled" box for Out 6, Pump 1.

I enabled Timer 0, initial value = 0

Win 1 and Win 2 are enabled, but I don't know why.

And here's how the state diagram looks:

This will all be baby steps for me. Before I create a process that turns pumps on and off at various intervals, I need to figure out how to turn a single one of them on for a moment and then off.

What did I do wrong when I set up this test process?
banjolawyer

Re: programming the Bluto 555

Post by banjolawyer »

Idiot alert. When you use On/Off/Auto switches on the control panel, be sure to turn the switch to Auto. lol.

That reminds me.. this pursuit is somewhat philosophical for me, and I've never minded sharing my thoughts along the way. Something I've noticed about some "pros" I know is that they would never in a million years ask a question on a public forum that makes them look stupid. Me... I put my stupidity on display for everyone to see.

Works fine. Now I'll work on figuring out how to switch from one pump to another in the same process, or maybe I'll have to create multiple processes. I'll get where I need to be eventually. So far the BCS has worked perfectly.
ECC

Post by ECC »

Lookin good. Like you said, controlling the burners will be almost identical to controlling the pumps. You can start by trying the Direct On box, and then move to either Differential or PID control. Remember, when using Diff/PID, the burners will only fire if the associated Temperature probe is below the temperature setpoint.

Have you already tried Manual Mode? I can't wait to see the youtube video!
banjolawyer

Post by banjolawyer »

I'm confused about Manual Mode. The interface has 6 spots for Outputs Manually Asserted. How do I change the outputs? And is the limit 6? I have 15 (actually 16, but I won't be using the last one, a tankless water heater solenoid valve, until this thing gets set up somewhere else).

ECC

Post by ECC »

To control outputs in manual mode, first click the button in the left hand control bar to run Manual Mode like you would a process. Now you can directly control the 6 PWM outputs.

The first 6 outputs are 'special', they can be controlled in any of the 4 modes (direct, duty cycle, differential, or PID). They can be associated with a temperature input (when in diff or PID), such that they have a temperature setpoint. To turn an output on, simply select Direct On and hit Apply.

If you want to heat kettle 5 to 150deg, select K5 Heat Valve to PID Controlled, update the Setpoint to 150, and press Apply. The BCS will now turn on the K5 Heat Valve until Temp Probe K5 reaches 150 and hold it there.

The remaining outputs 6-17 are on/off only, they can be switched on/off by clicking the corresponding entry in the output table near the bottom (this is not limited to Manual Mode).
banjolawyer

Post by banjolawyer »

Got it. I can turn the pumps on by clicking the buttons for Pump 1 through Pump 5, and the green light for each button comes on.

When I click the buttons for K1 Heat Valve through K5 Heat Valve, I hear the gas valve click (don't have gas hooked up yet), but the green lights don't come on.

When I click Sparge Valve K1 through K5, I get nothing. I'm not sure if it's a water pressure issue, electrical or BCS programming issue. I'll trouble shoot in that order.
banjolawyer

Post by banjolawyer »

I figured it out all on my own. A very excited Eureka moment for someone like me. Missing fuses on F11 through F16.

And I figured out that the green output lights on the BCS interface don't display unless the output has power to it for greater than 1 second, which is the refresh rate for the interface. The gas valves and solenoid valves are normally closed, so just sending power to them for a moment causes the valve to click (I guess it's opening and closing in a fraction of a second) but nothing more. Once I set up a small test process for the solenoid valves to hold them open for 5 seconds each, the interface's green output light displayed on each for those 5 seconds each.

Hopefully, I'll be testing the burners this weekend, and some more complex programming involving all inputs and outputs.