HMI Workaround

Using the HMI Builder and creating custom interfaces for the BCS.
OneHoppyGuy
Bot?: No

HMI Workaround

Post by OneHoppyGuy »

Is there any possible way to do an interface without an HTTP address? I'm designing a system that uses a thin client not tied to any network.
JonW
Site Admin

Re: HMI Workaround

Post by JonW »

Can you elaborate a little more?
The definition of a "thin client" is one that is purely a network device.
OneHoppyGuy

Post by OneHoppyGuy »

JonW wrote:Can you elaborate a little more?
The definition of a "thin client" is one that is purely a network device.
Thin Client PC running Windows Embedded mounted in the controls cabinet. Running Opera as the browser (only browser that would display and refresh properly) interfaced with a Hope Industries Touchscreen and Keyboard
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Got it. OK, since it is a thin-client, you have networking built in. You can use a cross-over network cable to attach directly to the BCS so you don't need any router or other hardware. Just set a static IP address on both the BCS and the thin client and plug them together.

Your choices from there are to either run a browser on the thin client for the interface or to develop a stand-alone program that does the UI. The stand-alone program will still need to communicate to the BCS via HTTP, but that's really not an issue. Your bigger issue will be developing an interface and using the API to communicate. If you go this route, I personally would just do the main page as a custom interface and when you need to do any config stuff, just pull up the browser version.
OneHoppyGuy

Post by OneHoppyGuy »

JonW wrote:Got it. OK, since it is a thin-client, you have networking built in. You can use a cross-over network cable to attach directly to the BCS so you don't need any router or other hardware. Just set a static IP address on both the BCS and the thin client and plug them together.

Your choices from there are to either run a browser on the thin client for the interface or to develop a stand-alone program that does the UI. The stand-alone program will still need to communicate to the BCS via HTTP, but that's really not an issue. Your bigger issue will be developing an interface and using the API to communicate. If you go this route, I personally would just do the main page as a custom interface and when you need to do any config stuff, just pull up the browser version.
Using a network cable directly from the BCS to the Thin Client with a static IP is what I am doing. Beyond that I assume I would need to know javascript etc. and have the time to do it...
Looks like I need to start shopping for a developer who can do this... :geek:
JonW
Site Admin

Post by JonW »

Doesn't have to be javascript. What is the OS on the thin client? I'm currently thinking of re-doing my custom gui (with more features) in either a VB.NET or Delphi stand-alone app.
OneHoppyGuy

Post by OneHoppyGuy »

JonW wrote:Doesn't have to be javascript. What is the OS on the thin client? I'm currently thinking of re-doing my custom gui (with more features) in either a VB.NET or Delphi stand-alone app.
The OS is currently Windows XP Embedded. VB.Net would be my choice based on my years as a developer.