Problem w/ Temp gauge on ECC

Suggestions, Problems, Availability, etc. Everything is up for discussion.
jbuffone

Problem w/ Temp gauge on ECC

Post by jbuffone »

This past Saturday I encountered my first problem using the ECC device. Please help me trouble shoot it.

Problem:
- I have only 1 temp gauge connected to my ECC, however I obtained readings for both Temp0 and Temp1. How is this possible?
- I proceeded to brew and paid mind to Temp0 the one that is wired (all wiring was double checked). I did not receive an accurate temp reading. For example, while the (analog) temp on the mash tun read 158 the ECC read ~123. There was around a 30 degree difference, yet the ECC digital temp probe did not really go above 123 even when I heated the mash to around 168.
I ended up with a very variable mash temp as opposed to the constant within 1 degree temps I've obtained recently with the ECC.

Possible problems (my guesses):
1- There was an ECC software or server glitch
2- My temp probe or temp probe wire got damaged (but why would I get 2 temp (temp0 and temp1) readings if this was the problem)
3- My ECC box malfunctioned
4- Some combonation of the above or something I've not thought of.

Please HELP!

By the way, I only use my ECC for one function. I have a temp probe at the exit of my heat exchanger that controls the heating element inside the exchanger in order to manage and adjust my mash temp. Its been working extremely well, until Saturday.
John
Broph
Bot?: No

Re: Problem w/ Temp gauge on ECC

Post by Broph »

John,

What version of the firmware is your BCS setup with? Have you checked the calibration settings for the temp probe in the System Settings tab? What kind of temp probe are you using?
Thomas Brophy
AleForce Homebrewery
jbuffone

Post by jbuffone »

The Firmware would be whatever was provided when the ECC purchased back in March '09; I've not installed any updates. The temp settings said default, but I will re-check.
BCS Portland

Post by BCS Portland »

Try a hard reset on the box. Usually a good step with computers to fix weirdness, that or drop it on the floor!

Not sure if you need to save your settings or not before doing that.
ECC

Post by ECC »

John,

Have you followed the trouble shooting guide?
http://www.embeddedcontrolconcepts.com/ ... reads_Zero

Basically, it just says to swap it with another probe to see if the 'bad' reading follows the probe to the new Temp input (which would point to a bad probe). Since you only have one probe, it makes it a little harder, but you should still try moving it over to Temp2 or Temp3. Swap to a different GND pin as well. That would rule out 1) and 2) in your list.

But from what your describing, it almost sounds like there's some kind of short between the Temp0 and Temp1 inputs. That would explain why you're getting strange readings on Temp0, as well as Temp1 even though its not wired. I'd unwire everything, pull out the green plugs, and give everything a good blast of air. Then put the green plugs back in firmly, and see if that cleared up the issue.

If you have a multimeter, you can also directly measure the resistance of the probe.. And a screenshot of the Thermo Test page would be very helpful in debugging this.
jbuffone

Post by jbuffone »

Thank you for the help debugging this problem. The solution that worked was un-wiring everything, removing the green boxes, and blowing air through them. Based upon your assessment that would likely suggest something around temp0 that was shorting the inputs.

When I moved the temp probe wiring to Temp2 the problem followed and instead of just getting miss-readings on Temp0 and Temp1, I also got a 3rd miss-reading on Temp2.

Thanks again for the help. Just in case it helps others in the future, attached is a screen shot of the Thermo test page and main controls.

Thanks again, great control system.
Attachments
BCS screen shot.doc
(222.5 KiB) Downloaded 303 times
ECC

Post by ECC »

Glad to hear that you're up and running again. The small screws that attach the endplates onto the aluminum enclosure are self-tapping. I suspected that a small aluminum filing from the self-tapping process found its way between Temp0 and Temp1...

I'm not sure if that's what was causing problems, but sounds like you're good to go. Thanks for the good problem description.
jbuffone

Post by jbuffone »

The problem is back, urgh. Please help.

I went to brew today, first time since fixing the problem, and its back again. I blasted the BCS with air again and again. Problem solved, a few minutes later its reading 2 temp probe readings when I again only have one probe. I followed the trouble shooting guide too.

Any suggestions, or do I just need to exchange the box? Please see my prior posts for the screen shots of the thermo page, etc.

Now I'm sitting here with 50 pounds of ground grain that need to be stored until I can find a fix to this problem.

John
jbuffone

Post by jbuffone »

One more note to help trouble shoot. If I move the green insert around gently with my hands, the temp gauges alter. For example, it will looked fixed, then two dials will read a temp, then 3 dials. When I took the green plugs out it looks like some of the plastic that guides it into place is missing. This is hard to explain...in between each screw is a small guide plastic that looks like it is used to hold the green plugs in place, in between 2 screws there is nothing. The other set of green plugs has that in between every screw. Hope this helps.
ECC

Post by ECC »

I sent you a PM