Sucess!

Suggestions, Problems, Availability, etc. Everything is up for discussion.
don.fief@comcast.net
Bot?: No

Sucess!

Post by don.fief@comcast.net »

Today I had my first successful brew with my RIMS system! Third time IS the charm. I insulated my mash tun with a water heater blanket, and made a lid for it with some styrofoam, ran my return from the RIMS tube through that. The mash temp was about 3-4 degrees lower than the temp in the tube, but I adjusted the set pooint up a bit, and the temp in the tun was right on.

I feel good about how the system ran today. THe other two times I have tried to use it, there were problems. First time was stuck mash, (fixed with rice hulls this time), second time I burned out the heating element, (fixed this time by mounting the tube vertically, and increasing flow). All in all, I am happy with the way it ran. Now I can get down to plumbing the water up to the HLT, and wiring the pump and other items neatly... :)

Don
JonW
Site Admin

Re: Sucess!

Post by JonW »

Great news! It's a nice feeling of accomplishment when things go right and unfortunately, disappointment when they don't. I've experienced both with my brew stuff as well and it's always good to turn that corner when things really start to get dialed in and you can really enjoy your brew days.

BTW, what did you brew?
don.fief@comcast.net

Re: Sucess!

Post by don.fief@comcast.net »

Definitely a good feeling when it goes right!
My wife surprised me with a Blichman conical fermentor for Father's Day! It was a real good day...
I made an IPA. I took 2nd out of 38 in the category a couple of months ago with this recipie! My first 'win'.

Don