Wireless?

Suggestions, Problems, Availability, etc. Everything is up for discussion.
bsfixit

Re: Wireless?

Post by bsfixit »

interesting.. this is how I was able to access it before .. I plugged the BCS into the cable modem/router wifi combo from my ISP , Verizon.
this was not a problem . THEN I wanted to set the BCS next to the brewery and use the airport extreme as the wiresless device to connect to the BCS
and be able to access the signal from my laptop (which I can connect to wireless ) but cannot connect to the BCS through the airport.
like I said I have some basic knowledge of routers and wifi before I got my apple and airport. I just cant get the BCS to open on my laptop via the
airport.I am just not setting something up right in the airport utility. and I could not configure the airport via direct connection with ethernet. I was trying to do exactly what you have pictured. room 2 would be the airport + the BCS and the brewery. I might try apple support if they can talk me through it
because even after reading the whole manual on the airport . Its just not clicking in my head. I do have a linksys router I would like to try to put in between
the airport and the BCS.. see if that works.. I think I need a break from it today .. but thanks for the support. If I get it resolved I will try to get some screen shots of the
config needed.
ECC
Bot?: No

Post by ECC »

Sounds like you want to set the airport as a "relay device" according to their documentation. If your Verizon router is the hosting the wireless network, you should be able to follow the instructions on page45 (if you can connect to the airport and run the utility).
bsfixit

Post by bsfixit »

thanks I will try that
ECC
Bot?: No

Post by ECC »

Maybe you should try removing the BCS, and hooking up your macbook to the airport extreme. Disable the macbook's wireless receiver so it's forces to go through the airport instead of the wireless network. It may be easier to debug your network issues with a computer as opposed to the BCS-460.
bsfixit

Post by bsfixit »

not sure if you can direct connect to the airport or not .. it has a utility you run to connect wirelessly .. I will try that too
thanks Adam!
Brett
IrishBeerBaron

Post by IrishBeerBaron »

If your primary router has wireless security set up, you may want to try temporarily disabling it to see if that allows your airport bridge to associate correctly with the primary. This includes disabling WPA/WEP/MAC address filtering etc. Definitely only do this temporarily though...
bsfixit

Post by bsfixit »

I still never got it to work wirelessly . I did however connect direct with my mac.. I had to set my DHCP to complete manual and set the IP of 192.168.1.1 subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and then enter
169.254.0.63 in the browser.. for now I am going to direct connect since its so easy .. but if anyone finds a solution for the airport extreme or even a linksys wireless bridge.. I would like to look at
thanks all
bsfixit

Post by bsfixit »

IrishBeerBaron wrote:If your primary router has wireless security set up, you may want to try temporarily disabling it to see if that allows your airport bridge to associate correctly with the primary. This includes disabling WPA/WEP/MAC address filtering etc. Definitely only do this temporarily though...

I actually had my airport extreme completely stand alone from the verizon ISP router. still never got it to work I think it can be done but I just was not able to find the right settings in airport (mac)
Zulu

Post by Zulu »

While not the same as your issue - During beta I had a lot of issues with wireless adapter interfering with the ethernet port on my laptop. Many many times I could not see the BCS when first logging in.

Now I just switch off the wireless until I get connected and then re-establish the wireless links. I am busy working on some of the wireless stuff finally, today I brewed wirelessly using my old "b" router as a second wireless network, but could not bridge the two to get internet at same time. I had to switch between networks, but the BCS chugged along with no issue while I was on other network. Stepped mash and mashout process worked just fine. Rather nice to sit at kitchen table - warm while the brewery did it's own thing but being able to "see" what is going on. Of course if a copper pipe burst I would be in trouble as that would not be seen, but the chances .....

I am going to try a wireless print server next which will double up during the week as a family device - thus not on my brewery budget hehehe. BUT I stupidly :? ordered the wrong one this last week , so will have to wait a week now.
bsfixit

Post by bsfixit »

Until I feel the need to attempt wireless connection, I direct connect with Cat5 cable and still able to get on the internet wirelessly.. I really think the linksys wireless bridge is the answer to my problems. I have 25 feet of Cat5 and I installed a patch cable inside the load center box I made. with a Cat 5 extender glued into the side to plug into when I need to program it. If anyone gets airport express or extreme to connect wirelessly stand alone with a MAC post up .
Brett