Wireless?

Suggestions, Problems, Availability, etc. Everything is up for discussion.
Gator Brewer

Re: Wireless?

Post by Gator Brewer »

Wireless works!!! and I spent no extra $$ for extra gear! :D :D :D

Earlier last year I upgraded my home network from the Linksys BEF11S4 wireless B router to a Buffalo high power wireless G router. I kept my old router around in the closet, just in case, although it was pretty much useless. Well earlier this week I found a great use for the piece of junk that it is...

My Buffalo router has a repeater mode and the latest firmware for the Linksys BEF11S4 supports Lazy WDS. These two features allow my to "extend" my home wireless network through the BEF11S4 which is connected to my BCS on the brewstand. I have read hundreds of online forums and articles this week stating that this can not be done and and that WDS isn't supported by this particular Linksys router. Truly there just isn't any documentation or support for the feature, but it is there. After a bit of tinkering, I got it to work and wasn't all that bad. The main issue is that you would have no way of knowing it is possible until it actually just works and you see it it for yourself (no validation or acknowledgment of WDS in the web based setup on the BEF11S4).

I figure some of you other guys might have these Linksys boxes laying around after upgrading yourselves (I know they are were pretty popular, my family had 3 alone) and if interested I could post the setup steps, assuming your main home network router has the repeater capabilities or supports WDS. Even if it does not, custom firmware might very well allow it to be capable(do a google search on dd-wrt firmware).

The only downfall is that when brewing, my home network gets downgraded to 802.11b speeds while the Linksys router is acting as a client. This not a big deal to me and I didn't have to buy an extra wireless adapter or bridge for my BCS. After the brewstand is powered off, my home network goes back to normal.

You guys may know all of this or just as easily be able to figure it out on your own but I was excited and just thought I would share the news :D
Jay

Post by Jay »

bsfixit wrote: If anyone gets airport express or extreme to connect wirelessly stand alone with a MAC post up .
Okay - not sure exactly what you mean.

I have an Air Port Extreme (802.11n) as my main router. I then have an Airport Express wired into that to provide 802.11g services. From there I have another Air Port Express connected wirelessly to the first Airport Express and had the BCS connected into that. Can you guess that I use a Mac as well?

NOW, I have a dlink (http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=346) that I had, which actually fix within the box. It is set in client mode and does work when the box front is on. I do need to clean up the wiring a bit, and the Access Point that it is talking to is up 2 stories...

-Jay
SoCalBrewer
Bot?: No

Post by SoCalBrewer »

Jay wrote:
bsfixit wrote: If anyone gets airport express or extreme to connect wirelessly stand alone with a MAC post up .
Okay - not sure exactly what you mean.

I have an Air Port Extreme (802.11n) as my main router. I then have an Airport Express wired into that to provide 802.11g services. From there I have another Air Port Express connected wirelessly to the first Airport Express and had the BCS connected into that. Can you guess that I use a Mac as well?

NOW, I have a dlink (http://www.dlink.com/products/?pid=346) that I had, which actually fix within the box. It is set in client mode and does work when the box front is on. I do need to clean up the wiring a bit, and the Access Point that it is talking to is up 2 stories...

-Jay

So than your not using your airport express to run your BCS? I have an extra Airport Express that I been trying to use to communicate wirelessly but I can get it to work. Hoping you had some hints, since I'm anew MAC user I'm still fumbling around.
nuke314

Post by nuke314 »

I use a MBP to set all of the following up. I am currently using an Extreme for the router, I have two Expresses in the network. Both are set to extend the network. I then just plug a Cat5 cable into one of the Expresses and I can connect to the network. Is that what you are trying to do?
SoCalBrewer

Post by SoCalBrewer »

nuke314 wrote:I use a MBP to set all of the following up. I am currently using an Extreme for the router, I have two Expresses in the network. Both are set to extend the network. I then just plug a Cat5 cable into one of the Expresses and I can connect to the network. Is that what you are trying to do?
I have a time capsule that I use and I plugged my BCS into the express. The thing is I can't open the BCS, I put in the IP adress of the express into safari with no success. I don't know when I set up the express in the airport utility if I'm doing it right.
rmcghie

Post by rmcghie »

When I asked the original question I had a TrendNet TEW-637AP plugged into my Linksys RV082 router, so I could use laptops without having to run long ethernet cables all over. I just got a TrendNet TEW-638APB and can report that although it was difficult getting it to talk to the TEW-637AP (poor instructions), my BCS-460 is now wireless.
Broph

Post by Broph »

Jay,

After seeing that you were able to use a DWL-G730AP successfully, I found one @ Amazon for $48 and purchased it. Just got it a day ago and this morning set it up. Connected it directly to my laptop and ran the setup utility for client mode (the device has a small switch on the bottom that allows Client,AP, or Router mode). I disconnected it from my laptop and went into my routers admin (NETGEAR WNDR3300). Entered the MAC addresses for the DWL-G730AP and BCS and reserved IP addresses for them - so that they will stay the same.

Took both the DWL-G730AP and BCS into the garage (aka Brewery), and powered them up. Now using the router assigned IP for the BCS I can access it using any device (desktop, laptop, Iphone, or even the Wii). The physical size it nice too - half the size of the BCS.
Thomas Brophy
AleForce Homebrewery