Wireless?

Suggestions, Problems, Availability, etc. Everything is up for discussion.
rmcghie

Wireless?

Post by rmcghie »

Does anyone know if the BCS-460 can be converted to wireless by connecting its ethernet port to a wireless access point/bridge, such as the TrendNet TEW-638APB?
ECC
Bot?: No

Re: Wireless?

Post by ECC »

Yes, the BCS-460 can be converted to wireless, and will work with wireless access ports.

We haven't tested the BCS-460 with that specific model. But we've used a similar wireless bridge with success, the D-Link DWL-G820.
--EDIT-- I can't recommend the DWL-G820, it worked great with my old WEP wireless router, but has been nothing but trouble with my new WPA router.

If you have success with the TrendNet bridge, keep us posted.
bsfixit

Post by bsfixit »

how would that work ? the access point is stand alone plugged into the BCS? then a wireless laptop can connect to that access point separate from your Internet wireless
access point?
bsfixit

Post by bsfixit »

I am having a difficult time trying to setup the controller using just apple airport extreme and the BCS .
any ideas ? I can connect no problem while its connnected to the home network but trying to use it stand alone on
an access point is proving to be a challenge.
TIA
ECC

Post by ECC »

Are you able to log into your router? Usually IP address 192.168.0.1. Usually there is an "Attached Devices" page or similar that lists each attached device's MAC address and associated IP address.

When I tested it with the D-Link adapter, the MAC address the BCS-460 (printed on the bottom label of the unit) showed up in the list, and it was as simple as typing in that IP address. I believe that the access point 'forwards' the MAC address of whatever is attached.

I assume that since you said that it was attached to your home network, that DHCP is enabled. Is this correct?

Are you able to use the airport extreme with other devices? If you can hook up a computer to it and it works, that would rule out any access point setup issues.
bsfixit

Post by bsfixit »

yes the airport works fine .. I took it off my internet modem and tried to connect it to the BCS stand alone.. I just cant find the documentation on how to
access it from my notebook .. I can see it and access it with the macbook but I don't "see" the BSC no matter what IP I enter. 192.168.1.1 ,169.254.0.63
I guess I am just not network savvy .. I thought it could be done . I am on a big learning curve on this .. I guess I need to read more about WDS and clients ..who knows what else.
ECC

Post by ECC »

One thing that I remember when getting my access point working initially (pre BCS) was that I had to enable RIP in my router, which was disabled by default.
bsfixit

Post by bsfixit »

RIP? not sure if I saw that in the airport extreme. do you think I might need a router to use with the apple airport? so it will provide IP addresses?
EDIT routing information protocol .. dont remember seeing that on the airport. still reading whew!
bsfixit

Post by bsfixit »

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en/Design ... indows.pdf
this is the manual for airport from apple.. just in case you an figure it out .. if I do ever get this working I will post up because the apple airport express and extreme
are 70 bucks for express on auction sites and 99 for the extreme cheaper in auctions.
ECC

Post by ECC »

Ok, did some reading on the AirPort Extreme. It can be setup to either be a bridge or a router (NAT / DHCP server). Every home network needs a DHCP server to assign IP addresses and establish the network. So ideally you would want one airport extreme (or other) setup as a router to establish your network. Then a second extreme (or express or other) setup as a bridge, to allow other wired devices (BCS) to connect to the wireless network.

A typical application would be like the picture below, not labeled correctly but bear with me. You have your cable modem connection coming into the WAN port of the airport extreme, which would be the WBR in the diagram. You need a bridge to hook it up to the BCS-460 (think of the BCS as one of the wired devices in Room 2 in the diagram).

BUT - in your case - since you only have one airport and no other router/bridge, you could still use it to access the BCS wirelessly in a pinch. The tradeoff is that you'll sacrifice your internet connection. From your description, it sounds like you are able to attach the BCS to the airport and access it from your macbook. You could disconnect the cable modem from the WAN port, and move the airport+BCS anywhere, like out to your brewery, and still access it wirelessly with your laptop.
Attachments
wireless_bridge.jpg
wireless_bridge.jpg (12.99 KiB) Viewed 7954 times