SSR Recommendations

Suggestions, Problems, Availability, etc. Everything is up for discussion.
mpilchuk

Re: SSR Recommendations

Post by mpilchuk »

ECC wrote: I hooked up the DC control, and 120VAC to one leg of the output of the SSR, but nothing to the other. Then I tested with a multimeter while switching the SSR on and off with the BCS-460. It read 120VAC when it was ON and OFF. I thought something was broken, but it turns out that there is a minimum load, 40mA in the case of the D2425s. When I hooked up a pump to the SSR, it switched as expected.
Adam, Thanks, I now know why my 120v indicator lights were acting strange. I have 3 SSRs and want 3 lights to tell me that the SSRs have power from the wall and 3 that tell me when each SSR is switched on passing 120v. I couldn't figure it out, so I left it alone for later. When I used my HTL the first time, the lights worked as I wanted them to, but I didn't know why.
bsfixit

Post by bsfixit »

I want to get indicator lights too. how did you wire them ? from 120v out and then to neutral?
If they light all the time. but worked with the SSR was activated how can that be? Maybe I should get a 5 volt LED and use the DC side of the SSR.
slimer

Post by slimer »

If you wire the 120V indicator after the SSR, it will only light up when its on.
mpilchuk

Post by mpilchuk »

bsfixit wrote:I want to get indicator lights too. how did you wire them ? from 120v out and then to neutral?
If they light all the time. but worked with the SSR was activated how can that be? Maybe I should get a 5 volt LED and use the DC side of the SSR.
slimer wrote: If you wire the 120V indicator after the SSR, it will only light up when its on.
This is exactly what I was talking about in my post above. Hook a 120v indicator light to the left side of the Crydon D2425 SSR with the SSR powered but not passing 120v and it WILL lite up. Adam mentioned this four or so posts above. Once you put something on the SSR that will draw power the lites act just as Slimer says.

It had me scratching my head until Adam mentioned why.
bsfixit

Post by bsfixit »

I got it.. thanks