Introductions

Suggestions, Problems, Availability, etc. Everything is up for discussion.
mpilchuk

Re: Introductions

Post by mpilchuk »

Lots of interesting pics there Zulu. Are those bed frames you used for your sculpture?
rabeb25

Post by rabeb25 »

Bryan Rabe here...

From Minnesota, and been brewing about 7 years now. I built my all electric indoor brewery a few years ago, and it is STILL undergoing changes (we'll just call it a work in progress). I should be receiving my BCS tomorrow, and have been chomping at the bit for it since day one. I am a pretty fast learner, and great with tinkering so I hope to be modding this thing in no time (though I will admit I know nothing about programming states right now). I was in the process of automating the brewery, and had timers and whatnot for heating the HLT, but I think this will streamline the whole process. Having a 35 minute commute from work, I can not wait to start the strike water when I leave work and be ready to brew when I get home! Now only if flow meters and electric ball valves weren't so expensive, I could brew completely from work!

Anyways I just want to say thanks ahead of time, and I am really excited to get this all fired up! Here are some pictures of the current system .... http://rabeb25.mikesdecks.com/BEER/Brewery/
bsfixit

Post by bsfixit »

looks great ! nice job. you will love the BCS controller and its interface..
mpilchuk

Post by mpilchuk »

rabeb25 wrote:Bryan Rabe here...
http://rabeb25.mikesdecks.com/BEER/Brewery/
Brian,
Sweet brewery. I just built my BCS box and my first item to control is a HTL. I put up a photo of my box on another thread. I too have not even touched the web based control stuff. One of the beta testers is a friend of mine,Noah (np0x here). He's got the control stuff down pretty good. We may use my lack of knowledge on that to create a tutorial on how to run this thing.

I've seen this box control Noah's mash temps and it's pretty slick. I think that this BCS is going to work real nicely for your situation.
slimer

Post by slimer »

Hey guys,

My name is Steve and I'm still trying to piece everything together. I'm no pro, but I have worked with automotive systems for a long time and have been brewing for about a year and a half. I have the beginnings of a RIMS and will be trying to control as much as possible with the BCS.
bsfixit

Post by bsfixit »

Welcome Steve! If you know automotive electrical systems then 110V is not too much different . I have a journeyman electrician friend in CO. I talk to him if there is something I dont understand, or need info on what wires can hold what amperage. I have installed two generator transfer switches to my homes 200 amp load center, it was very easy . Noah has been a big help to me as well.
Good luck on the build
Brett
Zulu

Post by Zulu »

mpilchuk wrote:
Lots of interesting pics there Zulu. Are those bed frames you used for your sculpture?
Nope , new angle iron cut to order. Footprint is 18x36 with a small added overhang for the Mashtun
tarheels

Post by tarheels »

Hey guys, my name is Eric and i've been a homebrewer for about 7 yrs now. I'm in the navy stationed at whidbey island, Wa. My new brew stand is just getting started. I'm taking the steel to the welder next week. Should be getting the BCS next week. I current plan is have a HERMS within a seperate pot controlled with the BCS. I would also like the BCS is control my HLT which is propane (i'm thinking ASCO valve). After all that is figured out i would like the BCS to control my monster kegerator. I got lucky and got a double door stainless commerical size refrigerator ($40), its currently has 5 taps but plenty of room to grow. I'm hope to get this going in a couple of weeks when my dad comes into to town. I'm sure i'll have tons of questions for all the experts out there.
Mark
Bot?: No

Post by Mark »

Wow, nobody in almost a year introducing themselves? I'm Mark in Dallas, Texas and just purchased a BCS today. Can't wait to get it in a few days. Anyway, I have brewed extract a few times about 5 years ago. Bored and started thinking I need a brewery about a year ago. I'm a Mechanical Engineer and have working in the food and beverage industry for 25 years. I have bought 3 100L kettles on Ebay. Built a SS frame, single tier. I have 2 March pumps, 2 controlllers (now not needed with the BCS) and a 7 gallon conical fermenter, several glass carboys, and a butt load of tri-clover fittings. I also have a tig welder, but not satisfied with my welding. Last night tried the solder technique using the Stray Brite #8 on a tri-clover 1 -1/2" fitting on top on my fermenter as a breather. Anyway, now gotta punch or drill holes in my kettles for my system and do some solding. I am going with a RIMS, all tri-clover fittings and 2000w heating element. Also, I am going all electric. I went overboard on heating elements and bought SS 240V immersion heaters used in industrial applications. Everything so far has been designed in Solidworks. I'll post some pictures of my system, both from solidworks and what I have currently built. I also have 3 soda kegs with sanke taps welded in. So, now the fun part, putting this together. favorite drink is Guiness and I hope to be able to re-creat and also hope to brew spmething even better. I'm sure I will be asking alot of questions, but have read almost all posts on the board. looking forward to working with everyone here. Not a member of a local brew club, but considering it, although local web sites are lacking.... :?
Having as much fun building and tweaking as brewing! Must be the engineer in me!

Mark
Addison, Texas
ECC
Bot?: No

Post by ECC »

Welcome Mark. Glad to have an ME in the group. Sounds like your system is really coming together. Looking forward to the Solidworks pics.

Not sure if you've started on your RIMS tube yet, but Derrin over at Brewers Hardware is putting together a really nice SS tri-clover RIMS tube for sale. Still a prototype, but that thing is gorgeous.

http://www.facebook.com/#/album.php?aid ... 7088353877
Not sure how to embed FB pics in the forum, but here's a link to his album.