New Control Panel Setup (Help with SSR's)

Suggestions, Problems, Availability, etc. Everything is up for discussion.
WhiskeyFingers
Bot?: No

New Control Panel Setup (Help with SSR's)

Post by WhiskeyFingers »

I am in the process of setting up my control panel and am by no means an experienced electrician. Right now i am looking to control two march pumps and three asco gas valves. I have found a crydom relay on ebay that i believe should fit my application but am not sure. Can someone take a look at this model number or auction and give me some feedback. Also if there is anyone that has a similar setup I would really appreciate any pointers.
Model # Crydom H12 D4850

http://www.crydom.com/en/Products/Catalog/h_12.pdf

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... _933wt_939
BCS Portland

Re: New Control Panel Setup (Help with SSR's)

Post by BCS Portland »

I may not know anymore than you do about SSR's, however the ones recommended by Adam were the D2425. The ones you linked to seem to be heavy duty industrial SSR's. The D2425 work fine for me. Good luck with the build, I just ran mine for the first time yesterday and enjoyed using the system even though I have barely scratched the surface of what it can do. Still debating if I want to control the gas on the HLT or switch to electric. So I will be curious to hear how your progress goes.
WhiskeyFingers

Post by WhiskeyFingers »

I think controlling the gas will work well. i have high hopes of the capabilities of the controller. Where did you get your SSR's? Can anyone else confirm that these SSR's will work?
ECC

Post by ECC »

Yeah, the H12 D4850's will work for you. Although a 50amp SSR is a little overkill for the few amps that pumps or valves will require. But they will definitely work.
WhiskeyFingers

Post by WhiskeyFingers »

Thanks. I will be ordering my BCS this week hopefully. What kind of lead time will I be looking at?
ECC

Post by ECC »

Usually ships out the day after you order.
sjlammer

Post by sjlammer »

Hey all,

First post, just got my BCS a week ago and am just working on wiring up my control box (pictures to come later)

I am using the same SSR's to control as the OP listed. I plan to use one SSR for each leg of a 240V heat stick. The Crydom spec sheet lists a "typical input current" of 15 mADC. I would like to hook both SSR's in parallel and control both using a single BCS output.

Will this work given the output current of the BCS? Should the SSR's be wired in series?

Thanks
ECC

Post by ECC »

Each BCS output is rated for a maximum current of 20mA. If you drive 2 of these SSR's in parallel from a single output, 15mA*2=30mA, which is out of spec. The SSRs should be wired in parallel, not series, otherwise you risk the chance of a voltage drop across the first one such that the second one won't reach the minimum ON voltage.

So technically driving 2 of these from the same output is not supported. If you require upto 50Amps at 240V, I'd recommend the D2450, which have a typical input current of 3.4mA. With the D24* you could drive upto 5 SSRs from a single output.
WhiskeyFingers

Post by WhiskeyFingers »

I have now set up my control panel and beginning to wire things but i am still unclear as to how the SSR needs to be wired. I am trying to put a switch to control the action of the SSR and am looking for advice on where to put this as well

The low voltage terminals

1 - Wired to the ouput of the BCS
2 - Ground on the BCS

3 - I do not know where to wire the two output terminals

Also I am trying to put a switch to control the action of the SSR and am looking for advice on where to put this as well.

I'm sure this is simple but am just figuring this out.