New Control Panel Setup (Help with SSR's)

Suggestions, Problems, Availability, etc. Everything is up for discussion.
BCS Portland

Re: New Control Panel Setup (Help with SSR's)

Post by BCS Portland »

WhiskeyFingers wrote:I have now set up my control panel and beginning to wire things but i am still unclear as to how the SSR needs to be wired. I am trying to put a switch to control the action of the SSR and am looking for advice on where to put this as well

The low voltage terminals

1 - Wired to the ouput of the BCS
2 - Ground on the BCS

3 - I do not know where to wire the two output terminals

Also I am trying to put a switch to control the action of the SSR and am looking for advice on where to put this as well.

I'm sure this is simple but am just figuring this out.

3 - The power (HOT) to your device being controlled gets interrupted by the SSR terminals. You are cutting that wire and attaching it to the terminals. By action of SSR do you mean manual control - if so then it becomes a bit more complex. You could look at my crazy diagram posted in Control Panel post, which although kind of funky (not an electrician) actually works and I have not burned anything up. Basically you use a three way switch with one position off, one auto and the third is manual. I consider it a must have for my pumps when setting up or cleaning.
np0x
Bot?: No

Post by np0x »

+1
I consider it a must have for my pumps when setting up or cleaning.
I originally only had a normal switch to force ON a circuit, i now have three way switches as well. Force Off, Force On, and SSR Controlled. I also feel it is a must...You can force things off without going to the bcs if you need to, or Force them on, then, off, then on again to prime pumps...both very helpful.

Basically you need to split the hot wire, run one wire through the switch only, and the other wire through the ssr AND the switch. You do this with the hot wire of course.

I recommend experimenting in an adhoc context with a nightlight to make sure you get it all correctly wired. It does take a minute to monkey with. I am using metal three way switches that are pretty nice, i think they were $3-5 each at home depot. I got the ones that handle up to 20amps. (sorry no part number)....
Check out the Brew Buddy for iphone controlling your bcs-460.
WhiskeyFingers
Bot?: No

Post by WhiskeyFingers »

Thanks guys.

I will give this a try tonight.

Cheers