Push Button Usage

Suggestions, Problems, Availability, etc. Everything is up for discussion.
gbrewer
Bot?: No

Push Button Usage

Post by gbrewer »

I want to utitize the BCS DIN and have push buttons which start and stop my pumps and gas valves manually using the +5v loop. Is it possible to run muliple processes which both may call for the pump? Example would be I want to turn the pump on on process 1 where the actual brewing process is calling for it to be off. I know I could make a simple over-ride using a three way switch to the SSR but I would like to call on the BCS to handle this process if it is possibe.

Have others created an over-ride? If so, how did you handle this process? It is simple enough to bypass the BCS by using a three way switch. Perhaps this is the better way to handle this process in case the BCS drops out during the brew process.
BCS Portland

Re: Push Button Usage

Post by BCS Portland »

I use three way switches. I can turn the pump off while the BCS wants it to be on or I can turn the pump on when the BCS has no clue what I want it to do. I have no clue how to do it with push buttons. What if the BCS or your computer crapped out in the middle of a brew session? You are going to wish you had done the three way switch.
np0x

Post by np0x »

I also like the ability to guarantee that a circuit won't go on. +1 for three way switches, Force Off, BCS Controlled, Force On.
Check out the Brew Buddy for iphone controlling your bcs-460.
ECC

Post by ECC »

Controlling the same output with multiple processes typically isn't recommended. The processes will fight over the output, and the priority (lowest to highest) is Proc0,1,2,3. So it will work, although this hasn't been very well tested, there may be a small glitch between Process updates.

But I agree with the other guys. The BCS is solid, but most of us buy used SSRs. So having a 3-way switch to take them out of the equation may save some frustration.
np0x

Post by np0x »

Also if you manually turn a output on using the top interface bar, and then a process starts trying to control that output, it will go off and stay off if that's what the process wants....sometimes its good to just know it's going to be ON or OFF.
Check out the Brew Buddy for iphone controlling your bcs-460.
gbrewer

Post by gbrewer »

Thanks for all the replies. I like the idea of the three way switch and it will be an easy change.