BCS 460 crashes

Suggestions, Problems, Availability, etc. Everything is up for discussion.
eduardo.manetta
Bot?: No

BCS 460 crashes

Post by eduardo.manetta »

Hello,
I'm setting up a mash tun controlled by BCS 460 with a gas burner as heating element. I have a Solenoid valve on Output 0 and a ignition device installed on Output 5. I have a "door bell" connected at Output 5 as well, so I have a "loud" alarm when gas starts running. A couple of SSR relays are commanded by BCS to power the devices.

The system works fine without the devices connected to the SSRs. However, with the devices connected, it normaly works fine the first time I start the process, but when the mash looses temperature and it is time for re-ingnite, BCS crashes completely. It has also crashed a few times at process start up, while attempting to ignite the stove the first time.

When it crashes, I totally loose connection to BCS. The gas solenoid closes. Although the network lights are on, if I ping it, I receive "Reply from 169.254.0.1: Destination host unreachable." I have a direct cable connecting BCS to my laptop. The only way to get BCS back is powering off and back on.

Current firmware version is BCS-460 v3.4.5

In case it matters, the system is wired on a box of 7in by 10in area and 4 inches tall, holding the BCS itself with its power cable, the two SSRs and the door bell. The ignition device and the solenoid are installed along the stove, connected to the box through a power outlet. (hope it is clear...)

Any idea on what is going on?

Tks,
Eduardo
JonW
Site Admin
Bot?: No

Re: BCS 460 crashes

Post by JonW »

This is an ongoing problem with spark igniters that many have dealt with.... with mixed results. My spark igniters worked great for a long time, then one day started rebooting my BCS (like yours).

I have recently switched to hot surface igniters. They are 120V devices and I have 3 of them controlled by a single SSR. The BCS fires them 5 seconds before the gas valve opens and holds them on for 5 seconds after the valve opening. They are working great and there is no potential for voltage spikes to the system like the spark igniters cause.

There is some additional info in my build thread on HBT: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/single- ... ost4634138

I highly suggest using these instead of the spark igniters.