Newb needs some basic advice

Suggestions, Problems, Availability, etc. Everything is up for discussion.
aschribe
Bot?: No

Newb needs some basic advice

Post by aschribe »

Hi all. I'm an all-grain brewer, but am not an electrician, a HVAC expert, nor do I have any experience doing any real plumbing. In fact, I'm not even very handy around the house. However, I did manage to make (out of scrap bedframes) a single-tier brewstand to which I plan to add 3 converted kegs for a 2 pump fly sparge set. Just like the "brutus 10" featured in a lot of forums and brewing magazines. Direct-fired (propane) mash tun. You know the setup.

My question: What does the BCS-460 really do? I mean, I understand that it uses temperature probes to control the brewing cycle. Can it work to control asco gas valves? Does one still need to wire up a control panel, then link that to the BCS unit? Or does the BCS actually replace the control unit?

Can anyone post picture of their setup?

Thanks.
gbrewer

Re: Newb needs some basic advice

Post by gbrewer »

aschribe,

If you search through the threads, you will see several pictures of peoples configurations. I will try to be as basic as possible here.

The BCS 460 should be considered a Love Controller on steroids. The question really isn't what does the BCS460 do? Rather, what does the BCS460 not do? :D

All fun aside... SImply put, you can think of the BCS460 as a person who turns a light switch on and off when told to do so. It contols when your pump(s) turn on and off and when your ASCO valve open and close to fire your gas burner. It can control much more, but it sounds like this is what your system will include. The simple programming is done via your web based browser.

When they mention "output" in relation to the BCS460, this is the portion of the system that controls the activation of a single circuit. Example would be your ASCO Valve is considered a single output. You can control up to six seperate outputs with the BCS 460. Each output requires the purchase / use of a Solid State Relay (SSR). The BCS460 sends a low voltage signal to the relay to "flip the switch". Your actual circuit is wired through the relay on the 120v or 240v side.

Take a look at the well written WIKI at http://www.embeddedcontrolconcepts.com/ ... =Main_Page.

Most people who use the BCS 460 create some sort of control panel. ****EDITED TO ADD**** Don't let the control panel intimidate you. Most people just use the control panel as a container for the relays. Others have added a few override switches to the front of the panel. It is possible to use the BCS460 without an actual control panel.

Good luck.. .
aschribe

Post by aschribe »

So for my use (2 solenoid valves, 2 temp probes) I would need the BCS unit, relays, and temp probes? Would I also need the LOVE controllers? And how many relays would I need? BTW I wouldn't be controlling the pumps - those would be on continuously.
RonRock

Post by RonRock »

The BCS takes the place of the Love controllers. You will need an SSR for each item you want to control. The SSR takes the Low Voltage signal from the BCS and switches whatever you want to control. So with a "Brutus" type system you would want to control 2 Asco valves, 2 pumps, and have 2 maybe 3 temp sensors. I haven't gotten that far yet. You say that the pumps will run continuously, with the BCS there is no reason for that. 2 SSR's only cost another 20.00 and you already have the control. Could also control the Boil burner but not really necessary and adds to cost. You would have to add another Asco, Pilot, SSR for Boil control.

I recently got my BCS so I'm in the process of planning all of this out myself. If any of this is wrong please correct me.