Electric Rig Wiring help needed.. any E.E.'s out there?

Suggestions, Problems, Availability, etc. Everything is up for discussion.
cyberbackpacker

Electric Rig Wiring help needed.. any E.E.'s out there?

Post by cyberbackpacker »

I am finally at a point where I can wire up my electric rig and start doing batches larger than 2.5 gallons.

Here is what I need: below is a "FRAME" for a wiring diagram for my system. I am a VISUAL learner, so if someone with more knowledge than myself could "FILL IN" the frame for me it would be great. Yes, I am looking for "electric by numbers".

Here is a brief rundown/description of what you see below and what I want/need:

Thursday morning I am getting my two pole 50amp gfci breaker installed. It will be run to a 4 wire range receptacle.

The brain of the system is a BCS-460.

I have a 6' 4-pole 6AWG range cord that I will run from the 50amp receptacle into my control box- a salvaged PC tower that has been gutted. The tower is a metal tower with a plastic covering.

From the 4 wire range cord I have 4 distribution blocks.

From here is where the help is really needed.

I have three 5500w/240v elements that will each yield 4662w at 220v. A max of two will ever be run concurrently. I have three 3-pole 10' 10AWG dryer range cords and three 3 pole dryer receptacles for these.

I have a 40a SSR as shown below for each element. I also have three DPDT 30a switches that I want to be wired such that the switch in position 1 will be a manual "ON", then off, and Position 2 will be an "auto" controlled by the BCS-460.

This leaves me with 3 outputs remaining on the BCS.

For these I have three 110v 15amp receptacles that will control a pump, a stirrer, and an "open" slot during brewing. I have a bunch of 12 gauge wire that I will run for these-- overkill but I already had it left over.

I have a 25a SSR as shown below for each receptacle. I also have a DPDT 10a switch for each outlet that I want to be wired such that the switch in position 1 will be a manual "ON", then off, and Position 2 will be an "auto" controlled by the BCS-460.

So again, if someone could, using the appropriate colored "wires" complete my diagram it would be greatly appreciated.

Additionally there is a pic of the 30a DPDT switch that I have. I need a clue on how to specifically wire it (colored wires to which terminals) to achieve what I listed above.

Lastly, you will see a fourth 15a 110v receptacle within a pink box. The BCS will be multi-purpose; when not in brew mode it will be controlling 4 different fermentation/serving temps. Can I hook the power and everything up to this receptacle as well, and after brewing merely disconnect one the heater elements from the BCS output, and plug in the fourth 110 receptacle wiring? If so, what would that look like in the diagram below.

I know I am asking for A LOT but I know there are folks on here that enjoy doing this, are knowledgeable enough to do this, and I hope that someone wouldn't mind helping out a fellow brewer.

Thanks in advance! A sampler of homebrew from my first brew on this rig to the person that can get this together correctly for me!

EDIT: I have a higher res version I can send if needed!

:mug:

gbrewer
Bot?: No

Re: Electric Rig Wiring help needed.. any E.E.'s out there?

Post by gbrewer »

Are you wanting to pick up the 120V side of the 50 amp 240v for the power to the BCS and 120v outlets or are you using a seperate 120v power cord?
cyberbackpacker

Re: Electric Rig Wiring help needed.. any E.E.'s out there?

Post by cyberbackpacker »

I can do it either way... my plan was to have a separate 110 line separate from the 240 50amp breaker. But I had read somewhere in the research that someone did not recommend having the two separate power sources.

If I can though, I think that would make things easier.