Dum dum question about controlling 220V.

Suggestions, Problems, Availability, etc. Everything is up for discussion.
Charlie
Bot?: No

Dum dum question about controlling 220V.

Post by Charlie »

Hey y'all,

First post, and sorry about the dum-dum question.

I'm building a 15 gallon electric HLT using a decomissioned 1/2 keg, and it will be controlled by my BCS-460. The 3500 watt 220V ultra-low density element will be placed as low as possible on the side of the keg. On to issues...

Looking at Crydom D2440s on eBay I see four contact points. Two are for the controller contacts, and the other two are for the load. How in heck do I switch a pair of 110V legs using two contacts?

Charlie
"I'm not superstitious. I think it's bad luck." Niksun

http://www.maltmunchingmashmonsters.com
RonRock

Re: Dum dum question about controlling 220V.

Post by RonRock »

Hi Charlie, Interesting "Can-O-Worms" you have opened here, a thread on the very subject you may want to look at.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/electri ... re-143683/

More than one way to get the job done. I think that the most reasonable (safe, cost effective) way would be to use 2 SSR's for the 220v element.
ECC

Post by ECC »

Yep, RonRock said it. You basically have 3 options:
  1. Use a dual SSR. These are basically 2 SSRs integrated into one package for this exact purpose.
  2. Use two separate SSR's, one for each leg. A single BCS output can typically drive multiple SSR's.
  3. Use a single SSR to switch a single leg of the 220.
For 3), this does break the circuit and the heater will be off (not heat). But it is frowned upon by some because one leg of the 220 is still live at the heater, so it presents a safety concern, code violation, etc etc...
RonRock

Post by RonRock »

Somewhat Off Topic, Does it matter how mutiple SSR's are wired together on the Control side?
ECC

Post by ECC »

You will want to control both of the separate SSR's from a single BCS output.

The reason for this is that separate BCS outputs would imply separate independent PIDs, and if they ever got out of sync (not sure how), then you might get one leg on and one leg off, resulting in no heat..
RonRock

Post by RonRock »

Thanks, I did not ask my question very well. 2-SSR's controlled by 1 output BCS. Should they be wired in series or parallel?
ECC

Post by ECC »

RonRock wrote:Thanks, I did not ask my question very well. 2-SSR's controlled by 1 output BCS. Should they be wired in series or parallel?
The SSR's should be wired in parallel.
BCS OUTx ==> Both SSR Control +
BCS GND ==> Both SSR Control -
Charlie

Post by Charlie »

Thanks for the replies. I was afraid I was overlooking something obvious. Was not aware of the dual SSRs, but that's a consideration.

While reading the replies it came to me that I could use an inexpensive low amp SSR to control an appropriate 220V relay!

Charlie
"I'm not superstitious. I think it's bad luck." Niksun

http://www.maltmunchingmashmonsters.com
Mark

Post by Mark »

Newbie here, another dum dum question reguarding SSR and 220V. If a heating element requires 20 amps (5000w) and you have a SSR on just one leg is it still 20 amps going thru the single SSR? Also I saw a post (somewhere) that you should use a higher rated SSR that actual load. Is that a true statement? I am planning on using 25 amp SSR (crydom D2425) for everything in my system. 3 220v heating elements ( 2 5000w and 1 2000w) and two 110v pumps, do I need more for the 2 5000w heaters?
Having as much fun building and tweaking as brewing! Must be the engineer in me!

Mark
Addison, Texas
BCS Portland

Post by BCS Portland »

Mark wrote:Newbie here, another dum dum question reguarding SSR and 220V. If a heating element requires 20 amps (5000w) and you have a SSR on just one leg is it still 20 amps going thru the single SSR? Also I saw a post (somewhere) that you should use a higher rated SSR that actual load. Is that a true statement? I am planning on using 25 amp SSR (crydom D2425) for everything in my system. 3 220v heating elements ( 2 5000w and 1 2000w) and two 110v pumps, do I need more for the 2 5000w heaters?

A good way to check amps, etc. = http://www.the12volt.com/ohm/page2.asp