Unconventional HEX probe placement question

Suggestions, Problems, Availability, etc. Everything is up for discussion.
cyberbackpacker

Unconventional HEX probe placement question

Post by cyberbackpacker »

I am in the midst of assembling the rig right now (with hopes of being able to get the BK up and running first so I can bang out a couple batches). Just taking a break from drilling my holes for my heating elements in my keggles.

My question... I am going to be running a "direct fired" electric MLT. I am mounting a 5500w ULWD element in the bottom of a keggle MLT that sits below a screened false bottom so chance of grain contact with the element is non-existent.

For most HEX issues I know the consensus is to mount the temp probe on the output of the HEX. My plan is to drill a 1/4" hole in the keggles to mount the probes, but was curious if mounting it low is the right location, since the element will be in such close proximity to the temp probe. I am most concerned with the MLT but it also holds for the HLT and BK too.

So simply... mount low regardless of proximity of heating element or no?

And another related question... ideally I want my probe placement as low as possible so I can do smaller batches on occasion. I have 6" probes. If I only have an inch or two of the probe inserted into the keggle, is this an issue? I am thinking I may have to do this to keep the probe as low as I want and to make sure it is not in direct contact with the element.

Thanks in advance.
gbrewer
Bot?: No

Re: Unconventional HEX probe placement question

Post by gbrewer »

I am going to caution you from using any temperature probe mounted into your MLT as anything more than an "idea" where your temperature is. I am speaking from experience on this issue. You will constantly be chasing your mash temperature both over and under.

The best way to use the BCS460 and a HEX is by circulation and placing your probe at the output. This has been discussed over and over again. You do not want to rely on the heater exchange being fired by a temperature probe placed in the kettle. You will not be happy with the results and will end up moving your probe.

I am not trying to be negative about this issue, but trying to save you time.

Edited to add: You should be fine placing your temperature probe in your HLT. I would place it far enough away from your heating element that you are getting the true temperature of the water and not of the heat radiating from the element. Up to you on the placement of the probe in the BK. I don't use any probes in my BK because water is a given. It boils at 212 degrees (depending on altitude)

Good luck!
ECC
Bot?: No

Post by ECC »

I have to agree with gbrewer. Save the hole in your MLT keggle and just mount the probe in the return line, coming out of the MLT. That's the way that all of the Brutus builds do it. Or, if you want to monitor the grainbed, you could put one probe inserted mid keggle for monitoring, and one in the plumbing for controlling.

But take that advice with a grain of salt. I think your doing something unique here, with the 'direct fire' electric. I've never seen a system setup this way, so I really can't say what would work best. I'm not sure why this setup isn't more prevalent, It makes a lot of sense. I think you're going to have to really experiment to find out what works best. And please let us know what you discover :)

For temp probe insertion length, a few inches should be fine. Obviously more insertion is better, since the extra SS hanging out will act as a heat sink. But the tip is where the sensor resides, and the housing is a relatively good conductor. We sell 4" probes if you're worried about the 6" probes, but they should be ok.
cyberbackpacker

Post by cyberbackpacker »

Thanks for the replies... what would I use to mount the probe on the output of the MLT? I currently have a SS close nipple attached to the MLT coupler with a ball valve attached to that. Would I used another close nipple off of the ball valve to a "t", insert the probe into one leg of the T with a 1/4" to 1/2" bushing, and then attached my quick connect to the other leg of the T? This just seems awfully bulky... is there a better more streamlined way? I guess maybe I need to look at some herms setups to see where they mount theirs.

However, as you said ECC, I am doing something different here, direct heating in the MLT, so maybe I need to rig up a temp probe stick like you built, and use two readings (one in the MLT and one of the output) to see what, if any, discrepancies exist.

Also, for my BK I am mounting a temp probe primarily so that I can monitor the wort during chilling (I use a whirlpool immersion chiller).

Any help is appreciated, as I am hoping to be able to at least utilize my electric BK with the BCS for a batch tomorrow.

Thanks.