Is my BCS dead?

Suggestions, Problems, Availability, etc. Everything is up for discussion.
bsfixit

Is my BCS dead?

Post by bsfixit »

I finally came across a refurbished Linksys WET610N wireless bridge. So It arrived today. I put the software disk in my laptop per instructions but there was nothing there! (Mac) After going to linksys site I found the setup wizard for Macs. I went through the whole setup and when it came time to move the bridge from my router and to plug in the BCS I did and the wizard said it found a device and its setup. So I excitedly started typing in the IP's in Safari. But none of them worked. then I noticed I was not getting any Ethernet lights on the BCS. After verifying my Ethernet on my Mac worked and the cable was good. I check voltage from the transformer. Good @ 6 volts.
So I have not used the BCS (or brewed for that matter) since last spring. It was working fine then. I pulled it out of my power control box and put it in our pool bathroom vanity drawer. I was so excited to start brewing again and not having to connect to the BCS with a 25 foot Cat5 cable. What can I do? :(
Brett
Sarasota, FL
RonRock
Bot?: No

Re: Is my BCS dead?

Post by RonRock »

Has this been resolved yet?

If not first thing to do is plug the BCS directly into a computer and then try to access it.
bsfixit

Post by bsfixit »

I already did that.. with two different cables , I get no lights on the back of the Ethernet port. nothing.. I check the port on my computer by plugging it into the router.. My MacBook Pro sees the Ethernet connected when I do this , but nothing when I plug it into the BCS.
RonRock

Post by RonRock »

Sorry I won't be much help. I did find this in the troubleshooting section of the wiki;

"Can't Connect to the BCS
From ECCWiki

The first thing to do is verify the the BCS has power and is connected to a live network. Connect the Ethernet cable to the BCS first, and then the power. This should light up the orange LED (connected). There should also be a brief flurry from the green LED (activity) while the BCS begins communicating with the network.

If you get no lights, check network connections and power. "

You have probably already found this though. I'm sure ECC will see your post and have some advice. Good luck.
bsfixit

Post by bsfixit »

I did read that Wiki article last night.. Last night I plugged the BCS into my Apple extreme wireless router. Nothing, after your post I tried My Verizon router cable first then power. I GOT ETHERNET LIGHTS ! Now I am rebooting my wireless N bridge and will try again. LIGHTS ! I Did push the reset button that I saw when I took the cover off to check for damage, burned traces. Maybe that did it.. I am going to get into my router and find the MAC address for the BCS so I can find the new IP. What a break! right after my Tripple grain kit was just delivered from FEDEX ! :D
np0x

Post by np0x »

The number of moving parts is so low(0) and the energy consumed so low(1 watt) I expect a long life out of the bcs. I think the most likely demise would be the result of dropping it on a hard floor(which would probably not hurt it either) or water/heat exposure, even water exposure might be ok after it was allowed to dry. I could be wrong, but the thing is a really smart surface mount chip and a bunch of little connectors that need to be cleaned out if you get some dirt or metal in there.

I wonder if the ethernet cable wasn't going all the way into the connector...I have some that have rather annoying hoods.
Check out the Brew Buddy for iphone controlling your bcs-460.
RonRock

Post by RonRock »

Cool, sounds like good news.

I had a hard time finding my BCS after setting up my Client Bridge when the BCS was using DHCP. I set a static IP with the BCS plugged into my computer. Now I know what the IP is going to be.
bsfixit

Post by bsfixit »

I am having trouble connecting to the BCS now. I am going to try to connect to the WET610n bridge directly since I cannot seem to over my wireless router
(192.168.1.1) I see it in my router settings with an IP of 192.168.1.4. I think I have some articles to read.. Thats a good Idea of the static IP.
My Airport doesnt see the bridge, shouldn't it broadcast its SSID? again I have to read others who setup a wireless bridge. I am just happy the Ethernet lights are on !
Thanks for the help.
gbrewer

Post by gbrewer »

What's great about this community is all the people who are willing to offer some sort of ideas. Right or wrong, we all offer tidbits of information. I love it!

At this point and if it was mine, I would eliminate all the extras and make sure you are able to access the BCS460 from the computer directly either using DHCP or by using the direct IP of 169.254.0.63.

When I set my bridge up from a converted Linksys, I used a static IP for the BCS-460 so I always new what IP was going to come over to the router. Make sure if you have any WEP settings that the keys are all in sync. If you use any MAC filtering on your main router, make sure you have the MAC address from both the bridge and the BCS 460.

I remember spending an entire evening trying to get this to communicate. It was frustrating to get the router, bridge, and bcs460 to talk but you will get it done.

Here is a list of some things I did to eliminate different connection issues when I was setting up my network.

Connect to your Router and see if the bridge ip (or mac) shows up in the list.
Try to connect to your bridge through your main router
Connect your laptop (or PC) to your bridge and see if you can reach your router
Connect your laptop to your bridge and see if you can access the internet.
Once you have confirmed that your laptop is able to access all these devices, you can then try to get the BCS460 working through the bridge.

I was unable to get the BHCP working with the BCS to the Bridge to the router. Once I went to the Statis IP, I had no more issues.
bsfixit

Post by bsfixit »

bsfixit wrote:Even though the lights are blinking on the Ethernet. I cannot access it with my Mac, nor do I see it in router settings when plugged into my Verizon router.
I am now trying a third cable..
yeah I tried that just before your post.. I cannot connect with my Mac directly , with a windows computer directly , nor can I see it in my router when I log onto my Verizon router, not the new bridge I got.. still no go...
Thanks.