Is my BCS dead?

Suggestions, Problems, Availability, etc. Everything is up for discussion.
BCS Portland

Re: Is my BCS dead?

Post by BCS Portland »

Make sure your subnet & gateway numbers are the same as the BCS.
Also when I have connectivity problems with my network the first to do is shut everything down and restart - I know that might be obvious but sometimes in the heat of battle people forget that.
RonRock
Bot?: No

Post by RonRock »

I don't have an Apple so know nothing about their networking setups. Do you have a router as a Host Router (Internet connection) in your network? I think most do. I went into the config file of my Host router after restarting everything on my LAN, including the BCS. The BCS can be connected to the Host at this point for simplicity.

After a the restart get into the router config, check the DHCP client list. You should be able to reach the BCS with one of those IP's from a computer connected to the LAN. At least that works for me.
bsfixit

Post by bsfixit »

When I first got the BCS last year. That was the first thing I did. I could see the BCS on my routers page. Its not there anymore no matter how many times I reset the router or power off on the BCS. somethings wrong with it.. I need to send it in so it can be looked at..
np0x

Post by np0x »

Have you tried a hard reset( http://www.embeddedcontrolconcepts.com/ ... Hard_Reset ) and then accessing the bcs via a directly connected ethernet cable at it's default ip address? http://169.254.0.63/
Check out the Brew Buddy for iphone controlling your bcs-460.
bsfixit

Post by bsfixit »

Looking at the tracking email I got from UPS , Adam Received the unit yesterday , December 10th. I hope he has some news for me later today. But he may be busy working... I might get the expansion card, if he has any. I did a step mash last sunday and it was my first , It would have been easy with the BCS but it was a PITA without it. plus I got a stuck sparge. I am going back to my cooler with a copper manifold rather than use the keggle with a false bottom. Well good luck finding the problem Adam,
Regards,
Brett
ECC

Post by ECC »

Brett, got it last night, will take a look at it this weekend.
bsfixit

Post by bsfixit »

Thank you very much Adam, I will be out of town this weekend but I will have my MacBook with me.
Have a great weekend.
Regards,
Brett
bsfixit

Post by bsfixit »

really curious if you found anything this first saturday of this weekend.
I want to make an IPA quick this week.. if I can get it back and working....
but really no pressure...Thank you Adam..
Brett
bsfixit

Post by bsfixit »

Just got back from Orlando, whew long weekend.. Any word on my BCS?
Regards,
Brett
ECC

Post by ECC »

Thanks for being patient Brett.

I hooked up the BCS to my network, and it fired right up. It grabbed an IP address from the router, I entered the address into Firefox, and the control page pulled up as expected. Measured access times are well within spec, and there are no dropped packets. As far as I can tell there is nothing wrong. I'll test it more thoroughly over the next few days.

The fact that you can connect directly to your BCS, but just not over the LAN, really proves that the BCS communicates ... while I understand your frustration, this is not a BCS related issue and should not be treated as one. How would you like to proceed? I am unable to do more than validate that the BCS works(it does) and offer you a refund if your home network doesn't offer a way to hook it up directly with a Ethernet cable(the recommended simplest method, although wireless gateways can also be used). How would you like to proceed?