My BCS controlled system

Suggestions, Problems, Availability, etc. Everything is up for discussion.
gbrewer
Bot?: No

Re: My BCS controlled system

Post by gbrewer »

I like the idea of running the ice water through the plate chiller. I have been considering switching over to the whirlpool chiller from my plate chiller. I still wanted to use my plate chiller since I paid good money for it. Now I can use them both. This method would provide me with one less potential point of contaminination and cool down even quicker.

Thanks for the posting!
np0x

Post by np0x »

One of my favorite parts of my bcs setup is it's control over my fermentation chamber(a deli fridge, that can hold 8 carboys 4+4)...i can dial in any temperature and time of year with the small space heater in there and the fridge compressor providing both chilling and heating potential. Temp now 44.9(read remotely from work)...baltic porter lagering away....
Check out the Brew Buddy for iphone controlling your bcs-460.
Mark

Post by Mark »

Yeah, My BCS arrived yesterday. Played a little with it last night and realized my existing thermocouples will not work on the BCS. Guess I need to place an order 8-)

Design question for you experts. I am close to the point of cutting holes and welding (soldering) my tri-clover fittings. Then I read somewhere about someone installing the pick-up or drain hole in center bottom of the BK and MT. Since I'm all electric, is this the best way? Seems like you wouldn't leave alot of beer left behind. Only concern, if whirlpooling while cooling, the trub gathers in the center, you open your valve and it could plug? Having a hole in bottom seems better than having a pickup tube running to center. Any thoughts or experinces?
Last edited by Mark on Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
Having as much fun building and tweaking as brewing! Must be the engineer in me!

Mark
Addison, Texas
np0x

Post by np0x »

np0x wrote:One of my favorite parts of my bcs setup is it's control over my fermentation chamber(a deli fridge, that can hold 8 carboys 4+4)...i can dial in any temperature and time of year with the small space heater in there and the fridge compressor providing both chilling and heating potential. Temp now 44.9(read remotely from work)...baltic porter lagering away....
In order to do this I built a satilite box that is connected to my bcs by a long run of cat-5 cable. One pair of wires is for a temperature probe, two other pairs are for two ssr's contained in this little box. Each ssr control's one outlet of the two on the box. I then set my bcs to keep it no warmer than a temperature(say 45) and no colder than another temp(say 40)...then use either the fridge or the small space heater to cool or heat the air inside the fridge. I use either a thermowell in the beer, or you could just tape a temperature probe to the outside of your fermentors and lightly insulate it with a towel or some foam. It is important to measure the beer temp and not the air temp as there will be a delta during ferementation and a lag when changing temps.

I updated my bcs to only have an update frequency of 30 seconds to keep my fridge from cycling and burning out the compressor.
Attachments
Space Heater
Space Heater
IMG_0545.jpg (45.72 KiB) Viewed 4239 times
Dual Stage Outlet
Dual Stage Outlet
IMG_0544.jpg (39.84 KiB) Viewed 4238 times
Check out the Brew Buddy for iphone controlling your bcs-460.
gbrewer

Post by gbrewer »

Mark wrote:Yeah, My BCS arrived yesterday. Played a little with it last night and realized my existing thermocouples will not work on the BCS. Guess I need to place an order 8-)

Design question for you experts. I am close to the point of cutting holes and welding (soldering) my tri-clover fittings. Then I read somewhere about someone installing the pick-up or drain hole in center bottom of the BK and MT. Since I'm all electric, is this the best way? Seems like you wouldn't leave alot of beer left behind. Only concern, if whirlpooling while cooling, the trub gathers in the center, you open your valve and it could plug? Having a hole in bottom seems better than having a pickup tube running to center. Any thoughts or experinces?

I run the tube to the center bottom of my MT because I use a false bottom and the hole for the tube in the false bottom is located in the middle. As for the BK, you can use a bazooka style screen in the center or run the pickup to the side at an angle. From what I have seen with the whirlpool concept, the angle works well.
VonMessa

Post by VonMessa »

Care to share the .sldprt files for the pump and ball valves? :) Save me some time........

Wishful thinking
Mark

Post by Mark »

VonMessa wrote:Care to share the .sldprt files for the pump and ball valves? :) Save me some time........

Wishful thinking
Sure. no problem. I modeled the pump myself, but the ball valve I downloaded. But I did modify the valve to have an open and closed position. Send me a PM with email address. I also have the tri-clover if interested!
Having as much fun building and tweaking as brewing! Must be the engineer in me!

Mark
Addison, Texas