My BCS controlled system

Suggestions, Problems, Availability, etc. Everything is up for discussion.
Mark
Bot?: No

My BCS controlled system

Post by Mark »

Waiting on delivery of my BCS. Meanwhile here are some pictures of my system currently in the build process. Using the BCS to control RIM, HLT, and Boil heating elements with SSR's. Also two March pumps. All work is designed in Solidworks
Attachments
My RIMS using all tri-clover fittings and 2000w heating element.
My RIMS using all tri-clover fittings and 2000w heating element.
RIMS 1.JPG (68.6 KiB) Viewed 6506 times
My Brewery in Solidworks, still adding to it.
My Brewery in Solidworks, still adding to it.
barking fish brewery 3.jpg (91.36 KiB) Viewed 6508 times
RIM on brewery
RIM on brewery
barking fish brewery 4.jpg (108.5 KiB) Viewed 6508 times
Having as much fun building and tweaking as brewing! Must be the engineer in me!

Mark
Addison, Texas
Mark

Re: My BCS controlled system

Post by Mark »

Actual pic of brewery in my Apartment.
Attachments
brewery1.JPG
brewery1.JPG (158.74 KiB) Viewed 6501 times
Having as much fun building and tweaking as brewing! Must be the engineer in me!

Mark
Addison, Texas
gbrewer

Post by gbrewer »

That looks like a top of the line design! Are the pumps going to be self priming?
np0x

Post by np0x »

gbrewer wrote:That looks like a top of the line design! Are the pumps going to be self priming?
In that position I would say yes...looks very well thought out...
Check out the Brew Buddy for iphone controlling your bcs-460.
Mark

Post by Mark »

gbrewer wrote:That looks like a top of the line design! Are the pumps going to be self priming?
I hope the pumps do prime themselves. I have played with them using them to pump/recirculate cleaning solution though my keg lines and know thay can be a pain to prime. I hope my design allows them to self prime.

Mark
Addison, Texas
BCS Portland

Post by BCS Portland »

Nice set-up!

Are those March pumps the poly head version and if so are the mounted to the frame structure or just suspended by the pipes? My point being that the plastic heads might not handle the load & vibration.
gbrewer

Post by gbrewer »

Mark wrote:
I hope the pumps do prime themselves. I have played with them using them to pump/recirculate cleaning solution though my keg lines and know thay can be a pain to prime. I hope my design allows them to self prime.
Based on the setup, you would most likely want self priming pumps. If they are not self priming, you can put a T on the output side of the pump. Just add a ball valve "drain" off one side of the T.
Mark

Post by Mark »

BCS Portland wrote:Nice set-up!

Are those March pumps the poly head version and if so are the mounted to the frame structure or just suspended by the pipes? My point being that the plastic heads might not handle the load & vibration.

My drawing is a work in progress. I plan on welding a pump support bar. One pump has a base and the other does not. Haven't given it much thought yet as I have more important items to think though first. But yes, the pumps will be supported somehow, not with juts the pipeing.

Mark
Addison, Texas
ECC

Post by ECC »

Wow, that thing is awesome. Great work on the mock up.

Is the RIMS the primary heating method for the Mash? I see you also have a coil in your (presumably) HLT. Will you use that for a possible HERMS option or do you have something else in mind?

How big of batches do you think you'll brew on that? 20-25gal max?
Mark

Post by Mark »

ECC wrote:Wow, that thing is awesome. Great work on the mock up.

Is the RIMS the primary heating method for the Mash? I see you also have a coil in your (presumably) HLT. Will you use that for a possible HERMS option or do you have something else in mind?

How big of batches do you think you'll brew on that? 20-25gal max?
The coil in the boil kettle is my chiller. City water passes thru the plate chiller into the coil. The plate chiller will get ice water from the HTL. My drawing is incomplete (still working on it) and missing the heating element in the HTL.

Also, the RIMS will be the primary heat source for the mash with a continous recirc and the BCS controlling the temp.

100 liter kettles, but going for 10 gallon batches as I'm using 5 gallon sanke converted cornies in my kegerator. Fermentation equipment is a 7 gallon conical and the several 5 and 6 gallon glass carboys. I know the fermentation process is what makes or breaks a great beer, so that will be my next step when I finish this!

Mark
Addison, Texas