Pump and Heater Control

Suggestions, Problems, Availability, etc. Everything is up for discussion.
ECC
Bot?: No

Re: Pump and Heater Control

Post by ECC »

DINs only work with processes, not Manual Mode. You could presumably setup a process that's sole purpose was to read a DIN and based on the value, assert the output. Kind of strange, but it would work.

Like you said, just forcing the 5v onto the SSR control pin wouldn't be very good because the switch would supply 5v, and the BCS would still be driving 0v, creating a short. If you want to bypass the BCS to force things manually, 3 way switches are ideal. That way you can have auto-off-on, and not worry about contention. When the switch is forcing the output (on), the BCS (auto) would be disconnected. But the BCS would have to be powered up to supply the 5v to the switch. Illuminated switches shouldn't be a problem.

Or, you could also use a 3 way switch on the output of the SSR in the 120v domain, same premise, auto-off-on, or a 2way auto-on. Auto parts stores have 120v switches that are physically small if size is a problem.
Zulu

Post by Zulu »

Remember the Solid State Relay "SSR" is just a switch ultimately, you can just wire a 110v switch in parallel to the SSR hot side, thus not needing the BCS for manual control.
NOTE All this switch needs do is short out the two wires on the SSR hot side, which will mean while switched "on" the BCS has no control on that circuit.

Std (good quality) toggle switches will switch 20Amps at 110v , some even are rated to 25A. Best to also have a control lamp to see when in manual mode or get a switch with a lamp internal - I would probably also make a lock out circuit using a double pole switch so that you cannot fire the SSR when in manual - ie just break the control side using the second pole of the switch.

Rick
bsfixit

Post by bsfixit »

Thanks for the replies. for safety reasons and ease of installation. I would prefer switching the SSR and not running 120v switches,albeit small, the 3 way switch makes the most sense to me.
so I can use the 6v out terminal on the BCS to supply this voltage to the SSR using a 3 way switch .. off auto (process) and force on, which disconnects the BCS 5v output control going to the SSR (if it is on in a process or off) . I used the BCS in manual mode yesterday and brought exactly 5 gallons of water to 175 deg in one hour using an electric turkey fryer. The SSR on the heat sink w/ load box fan running and it was barely warm after this . the heat sink and fan works very well. I will post some pictures once I get them hosted.. Again thanks for the input.
Brett
Last edited by bsfixit on Mon Jan 12, 2009 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
bsfixit

Post by bsfixit »

ECC

Post by ECC »

Very NICE. Great work.

Just for reference, its the +5VDC pin of the BCS. That pin can source up to 250mA.
bsfixit

Post by bsfixit »

thanks .. so the SSR and the illuminated switch wont pull more than 250 milliamps correct?
ECC

Post by ECC »

bsfixit wrote:thanks .. so the SSR and the illuminated switch wont pull more than 250 milliamps correct?
Correct.