Noob non EE Wiring help

Suggestions, Problems, Availability, etc. Everything is up for discussion.
bsquared
Bot?: No

Noob non EE Wiring help

Post by bsquared »

So for the past week I have been building a case and setting up my BCS460, I have successfully updated the firmware to th 2.0 version, and have been able to control one SSR through the out0 using the manual mode, on and off, and with the thermocoupler.

My problem is now I am trying to set up two more ssr's controlled through out1 and out2 I can't get the the bcs to control the ssrs. One thing I think is strange is that when I wire them up I get a consent 105v output when the BCS has them on or off, or even when the BCS is not on. Where as the one that is functioning, will only read 30v if it is not on.
I have swapped out three different SSR's on the out1 and 2 and have the same problem. But I have not tested the out3,or 4 yet. One thing I have done is connected all the three grounds to the same ground in the BCS, but this dose not seem to affect the out0

If any one can point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Bryan
ECC

Re: Noob non EE Wiring help

Post by ECC »

From http://forum.embeddedcontrolconcepts.co ... p?f=4&t=14
ECC wrote: One thing that I thought was interesting when testing some SSRs.. I hooked up the DC control, and 120VAC to one leg of the output of the SSR, but nothing to the other. Then I tested with a multimeter while switching the SSR on and off with the BCS-460. It read 120VAC when it was ON and OFF. I thought something was broken, but it turns out that there is a minimum load, 40mA in the case of the D2425s. When I hooked up a pump to the SSR, it switched as expected.
This may be a case where the SSRs aren't loaded? Do you have anything connected to the high voltage side?
bsquared

Post by bsquared »

I had a small battery charger, but I bet it was below the 40mA limit, Thanks I'll try hooking up some thing else up and see if that works.
bsquared

Post by bsquared »

I think that was it, I plugged in my stir plate and dremmel in to the open slots and cycled them through in manual mode and it worked great.

Thanks ECC, I can't wait to brew with some automation!
BCS Portland

Post by BCS Portland »

Glad to hear that it works.

My alter ego on HBT nailed it amazingly 3 minutes before Adam who actually knows what he is talking about.

just tooting my own horn!
gbrewer

Post by gbrewer »

I went through that same issue. Once I put the SSR under a load, it worked great. When I was using the tester without a load, I got all kinds of odd readinds.

Glad to see you are moving forward!