ECC Christmas Gift

Suggestions, Problems, Availability, etc. Everything is up for discussion.
gbrewer
Bot?: No

ECC Christmas Gift

Post by gbrewer »

Well..... My wife asked me what I wanted for Christmas. I provided her with numerous ideas with one of which being an additional temperature probe for my BCS460.

I am now the proud owner of an additional temperature probe bringing my total count up to three :D I plan on using this probe in my boil kettle. It was one of those things that I really wouldn't buy for myself since water boils at a standard temperature but would be nice to have. Now I can tell how close I am to a boil and get one more of those cool guages to watch.

I think I might make some sort of step which triggers a loud and obnoxious beeping noise when my temperature reaches 200 degrees. What a great way to avoid boil over.
BCS Portland

Re: ECC Christmas Gift

Post by BCS Portland »

Make sure you check the calibration of the probe @ boiling before relying on it to warn you of impending boil. I know this from experience, as mine was off by 25 degrees or so. Now its within 4 degrees and I am going to live with the numbers as is.
RonRock

Post by RonRock »

Cool. I plan to have one in my boil kettle also. My thought is to tell the BCS to hold boil temp for my boil length. And sound a horn for hop additions, and end boil.

Haven't used my BCS yet so not sure how to program this. Hope it works this way.
ECC

Post by ECC »

BCS Portland wrote:Make sure you check the calibration of the probe @ boiling before relying on it to warn you of impending boil. I know this from experience, as mine was off by 25 degrees or so. Now its within 4 degrees and I am going to live with the numbers as is.
Were those probes from ECC? Or others? I've never seen temps mistrack like that on ECC probes, even with default calibrations.
gbrewer

Post by gbrewer »

My probes were from ECC. Do I need to take this step? My other ECC probes were plug and go.
BCS Portland

Post by BCS Portland »

ECC wrote:
BCS Portland wrote:Make sure you check the calibration of the probe @ boiling before relying on it to warn you of impending boil. I know this from experience, as mine was off by 25 degrees or so. Now its within 4 degrees and I am going to live with the numbers as is.
Were those probes from ECC? Or others? I've never seen temps mistrack like that on ECC probes, even with default calibrations.

That probe was from Brewers Hardware before Derrin posted calibration numbers :!:

I still think you should double check the probe @ boiling temps before assuming it will be accurate.